Windows 7, I keep losing calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Windows 7, I keep losing calibration

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

tausendberg SourceForge

Long story short, whenever I use a feature that is heavy on the video card, I get a hideous yellowish/greenish tint over everything.

By heavy on the video card, I mean, if I open up a game and I can see it once it starts to load 3d models and such change the colors.

I’m able to get back by going into dispcalgui, resetting the video card gamma table, and then reinstalling the profile. Interestingly, reinstalling the profile without resetting the gamma table doesn’t change it.

Has anyone else had this problem? I’m not finding much direct information related to it.

Windows Color Calibration in color management is OFF
    I have a Nvidia GTX 660, latest drivers
    Latest version of argyll and dispcalgui
    Spyder5 (don’t know if that makes a difference)
    Windows 7

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Yes, some applications (including games) will unfortunately reset the video LUTs whenever they’re used, thus unloading the calibration. You can use the dispcalGUI Calibration Loader to restore the calibration after exiting the game.

tausendberg SourceForge

!!!!

Oh my, that’s ridiculous. Why on Earth… Is there any workaround or anything like that?

Professional applications like Maya or photoshop don’t do this, right? I just loaded up Maya but I don’t know if I can totally trust my eyes right now, it might be subjective…

By the way, thank you for your prompt response, feeling a little less lost.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Professional applications like Maya or photoshop don’t do this, right?

No, they honor calibration and in the case of Photoshop also actually use ICC profiles. But fullscreen 3D apps like games or benchmarking tools can be problematic.

tausendberg SourceForge

Makes me want to go visit various game devs and give them a slap on the wrist. What are they thinking? Have they never heard of leaving well enough alone?

Anyway, don’t mean to rant gratuitously but I use this computer for making art and playing games, do you know of any, hopefully painless, workarounds?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’ve heard about a tool that enforces the calibration to stay loaded but I can’t remember the name.

tausendberg SourceForge

I also just noticed that when I’m looking at videos posted on facebook where the first frame of the video is visible before playing, the colors shift when I click play again.

Geez, I don’t know, this is starting to look very untenable, is there some way to color correct without altering the LUT table from its default? I’m surprised to see that we’re still having problems like this in 2015…

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I also just noticed that when I’m looking at videos posted on facebook where the first frame of the video is visible before playing, the colors shift when I click play again.

The first frame is likeliy just an image which in some browsers (depending on if they support ICC color management and how it’s configured in the browser) is color managed, but when you start playback Flash takes over (which is not color managed afaik).

Geez, I don’t know, this is starting to look very untenable, is there some way to color correct without altering the LUT table from its default?

The issue with video you’re seeing is not related to the graphics card videoLUT (gamma table), it’s just that video in browsers is generally not color managed.

tausendberg SourceForge

Is there a way in dispcalgui, at least for experimentation, to calibrate the display without altering the LUT?

From my perspective, it seems like it’s worth a try, at least.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

No. The only thing you can do is adjust the whitepoint.

tausendberg SourceForge

Fair enough, I dug around and if anyone else is having this problem, I found these two free applications for forcing LUT use.

Thank you for all of your help Florian Hoech.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=386325

http://goebish.free.fr/cpk/

Just one more question, I am using a Spyder5 and I find when I’m calibrating, that the black patches seem to take a long time, is there anything I can do to make them less error-prone?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Just one more question, I am using a Spyder5 and I find when I’m calibrating, that the black patches seem to take a long time, is there anything I can do to make them less error-prone?

It’s normal for dark patches taking longer to measure, this is not an error. The Spyder instruments are unfortunately not very sensitive and thus slower than competing products.

In other news, recently I learned that 3D LUTs can be used with the MasterEffect ReBorn shader library for ReShade, thus enabling color management for games. Support for creating compatible 3D LUTs will be in the next version of dispcalGUI.

• This reply was modified on 2015-07-25 02:23:39 by fhoech.

tausendberg SourceForge

That’s fascinating, thank you very much for all of your help!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS