Wide Gamut display, Gamma 1.5 result

Home Forums Help and Support Wide Gamut display, Gamma 1.5 result

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

JonJon
    Participant

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 15 9570 4K display with 100% Adobe RGB.

I calibrated it, using the mode: wide gamut LCD (RGB LED), tone curve:  gamma 2.2 target. But when I look at the results, using a couple of different online visual gamma tests, I get a gamma result of 1.5.

I am not really sure about what that means regarding if my display is actually dependable or not for creating accurate results.

Is a gamma of 1.5 ok? If not, how do I correct this. I don’t have any means to manually adjust the gamma as far as I know. From what I understand gamma 2.2 is what we should be aiming for?

Thank you.

Vincent
    Participant

That could mean 3 different but not exclusive things:

-The visual test you use are not valid, hence your display has not an average gamma of 1.5
    -The device you used for measurement is not accurate. From the correction you chose it looks like you have a Spyder so this situation has a chance to be real.
    -Calibration was computed properly but some rogue app is messing with your system: autodimmig, energy save cleaning GPU calibration… You own a laptop, so this one is very likely to happen.

Anyway, first of all validate your calibration before adventuring in the realm of visual tests. That DisplayCAL funcionality is meant for this.
    If it measures ~1.5… rogue application or system misconfiguration seems the most probable cause.

JonJon
    Participant

Thanks very much

• The visual tests, seems to read gamma 2.2 on my secondary sRGB monitor
    • Spyder isn’t a reliable calibration device? I thought it was well spoken of :S
    • This is an interesting point. I believe that I have turned all this off though

Validation – I wasn’t aware this was possible. I will test this for sure once my current calibration has completed. Seems quite complicated from the documents.

I like DisplayCal, but there are so many modes and options to get right, it can be a steep learning curve, as well as to learn the terminology as well.

Is there anything wrong with a gamma other than 2.2?

Thanks very much for your help and areas for me to investigate.

Vincent
    Participant

Is there anything wrong with a gamma other than 2.2?

As long as you use color management… not really (applications like GIMP or Photoshop will change image RGB number before sending to tor display… at some rounding error cost), but most applications are not color managed. They expect your display to match sRGB gamut with ~2.2 gamma and D65 white.
    If you use this later kind of applications you are going to see things wrong, more brightness in middle & dark tones.
    But since you have a widegamut, unless you use some kind on built in gamut emulation you are seeing wrong colors in non color managed applications even if your laptop actually has 2.2 gamma.

Some high end Dell laptops have some form of HW calibration, take a look on “Dell Premier Color Software Application”, maybe your laptop is supported but you need a better device to use it: an i1DisplayPro.
    Such HW calibration could be verified with DisplayCAL or even fine tune it in GPU like you are doing now with DisplayCAL. Since laptop GPU calibration is more prone to bandig and calibration reset because of vendor roge app or weird enery management may be worth using HW cal.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

JonJon
    Participant

Thanks very much Vincent, validation shows the correct Gamma

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS