Wide gamut 8bit panel calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Wide gamut 8bit panel calibration

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Franilustrador
    Participant

Is it possible to calibrate a wide gamut 8 bit screen, with an Intel integrated graphics GPU, on GNU/Linux? I have read that for no loss of quality, you need a graphic card of more than 8 bit, which does not seem to be the case with Intel integrated graphics. It seems that if this is the case, there will be a lot of banding, and I don’t know about other quality losses. Should I give up this configuration? Is a monitor calibrated like this really not usable?

MW
    Participant

8-bit + dithering is good enough, may be impossible to tell a difference to the eye vs. 10-bit. Photoshop does this by default for example. For VCGT calibration Displaycal uses a 16bit loader.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by MW.

Vincent
    Participant

Is it possible to calibrate a wide gamut 8 bit screen, with an Intel integrated graphics GPU, on GNU/Linux? I have read that for no loss of quality, you need a graphic card of more than 8 bit, which does not seem to be the case with Intel integrated graphics. It seems that if this is the case, there will be a lot of banding, and I don’t know about other quality losses.

You need high bit depth LUTs and dither, no high bit communication between GPU and display.
    Unfortunately iGPUs have no such features on their 1D LUTs (AFAIK).

If you use Windows you can use DWMLUT, it runs on shaders and has dither so calibration is bandless even on intel GPUs

Should I give up this configuration? Is a monitor calibrated like this really not usable?

It depends on the severity o the banding. It may not be noticeable if display is well behaved before calibration (=almost no correction)
    Open lagom LCD test gradieng PNG on a non color managed image viewer, like MS Paint. It must be non color managed.
    Maybe Midori browser is not color managed so you can test but I’m not sure.

Franilustrador
    Participant

Thanks for the answers, they help me to have a clearer perspective.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS