Why does DAVINCI RESOLVE require a Video Monitor lookup table?

Home Forums Help and Support Why does DAVINCI RESOLVE require a Video Monitor lookup table?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

kammy2028
    Participant

My monitor color space is DCI-P3 (D65).

I used DisplayCal software to calibrate the monitor.

Do I have to do the calibration in DAVINCI RESOLVE?

Should I correct the monitor and DAVINCI RESOLVE at the same time?

=> Do I need to do this again?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Displaycal corrects white & grey. That’s all. Nothing more could be done with underlying HW (GPU luts) and a generic API.
    After that it makes a profile to measure how display behaves after calibrating grey.

Resolve can use a LUT3D that transforms some content colorspace (let say Rec709 g.2.4) to calibrated display colorspace (display profile).
    Premiere, the new color managed versions since 2019-2020, does that on the fly based on display profile ans supposed content colorspace. It’s the same.

Resolve LUT3D is just a crystalized color transformation that can run fast or even translated to compatible HW.

You do not need to “calibrate” Resolve, you need to make use of its color management.

kammy2028
    Participant

Thanks for your help 🙂

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Note, that display ICC profile has two parts: calibration curves (better to say RGB channels linearization) and second part that is like mixed colors correction.

• The first one is loaded directly to your videocard by DisplayCAL Profile Loader, so everithing is corrected with it at your display.
    • The secon one is used by color managed software, i.e. by Photoshop, Ae, Lr, ACDSee, FastStone viewer (you must turn it on in ACDSee and FastStone), but not by MS Paint and Windows worktable. There are some exclusions, DaVinci and 3DS Max.

Actually, second part consists of some matrices, curves and usually contains 3D LUT. This part corrects color with some long calculations, including changing coordinates from RGB to XYZ/LAB, then back. This color output takes too much time for heavy video byte traffic. That is why DaVinci uses 3D LUT correction instead. It is 3D search table, RGB to RGB directly, intermediate values are interpolated. DisplayCAL can build corresponding 3D LUT between your display ICC profile and video standard ICC (Rec.709 by example), use no calibration (vcgt) inclusion in 3D LUT if you use Profile Loader. Be aware, video LUTs have some specific settings. 3DS Max with Corona render uses the same approach for a different reason: this 31-years old dinosaur must be completely rebuild by developers to make it color managed.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS