Whitepoint off (SpyderX vs i1Display Pro)

Home Forums General Discussion Whitepoint off (SpyderX vs i1Display Pro)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Alex D.
    Participant

Hey!

I am trying to calibrate and match the colors of my two monitors: Internal Macbook Pro Screen (P3 PFS phosphor) and LG 27UP850 (also P3 PFS phosphor).
    I have a SpyderX and i1Display Pro Plus at hand. My biggest problem is that the readings from the i1 and the Spyder differ quite heavily.

Native white points for my LG:

1. SpyderX (Wide-Gamut Mode): 5900K – 6000K
    2. i1 (e.g. CCSS for PFS Phosphor 94% P3 Panasonic):  6200K – 6300K

I did several software and hardware calibrations (at least for the LG) and the results from the Spyder were worse than the factory calibration. Subjectively, the i1 did a much better job.

Why are the white point readings so different? Which one should I trust? Is my Spyder broken and needs to be replaced?

I attached an example profile for my lg for each spectrometer.

-Alex D.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon   SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

CCSS + i1d3 is to be trusted.

(AFAIK)  Spyder X should have a PFS phosphor mode. It’s very likely that you chose maybe… Widegamut CCFL as correction. If you do not find PFS phosphor mode use RGB LED (or widegamut RGB LED, I do ot remember spyder naming)

The problem with SpyderX is that it cannot be corrected in a distributed way. There are a few corrections for a few displays while i1d3 stores its own spectral sensivities so if you provide an soectral sample of a new display it can correct its readings.
    SpyderX approach for colorimeter correctios is inherently NOT FUTURE PROOF, hence it’s highly NOT RECOMENDED.

With i1d3 “distributed corrections” (you donot need to own an spectrophotometer, just wait somebody, including vendor, to share new samples) you can even “fake”/”replace”/”forge” non accurate vendor spectral corrections (EDR) with a more accurate ones since all of this is just software, not a few 3×3 matrices built in HW device like in spyderx

AstralStorm
    Participant

I had a bit better results with CCMX calculated directly on the screen than CCSS with the exact same hardware. CCMX are of course not portable, you need a spectro.
    Spyder will work about just as well with CCMX for correction as i1d3.

I think there’s already a high quality Macbook Pro PFS screen CCSS in the database, that would be quite trustworthy.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by AstralStorm.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by AstralStorm.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS