Whitepoint matching difficulties

Home Forums General Discussion Whitepoint matching difficulties

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

tschaboo
    Participant

Over several sessions I spent more than an hour trying to match the whitepoint of two very different panels: (a) a wide-gamut LED IPS in sRGB emulation mode and (b) a (very)-small-gamut LED IPS on a notebook.

I tried it both ways and I didn’t even come close.

My question: am I just too clumsy and it should be possible, or might it be impossible to get an acceptable match? Could my mild protanomaly play a role here?

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Right, there’s meatmerism effect. Wide gamut LED displays have three peaks (RGB) in lighting spectrum. Office displays have blue peak and green-red hill, like one of ceiling WLED. Moreover, your eyes  sensitivity is away of full color vision standard. Two displays with different white spectrum are like two sheets of paper in my hands under the same lighting, cool one and warm one. When I compare them, I see that one has magenta tint. I move eyes to another one and see green tint. I can’t see average color, despite of many attempts.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Note, I see different color tints between sheets, not temperature difference only. Cause of their specific spectrums. But when I look at one sheet only, I percept it as cooler on warmer white.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Here are white color (non-calibrated) graphs for thin gamut and wide gamut LED IPS displays.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

tschaboo
    Participant

Ok, those are indeed two very different spectra.

But still I think it SHOULD be possible to find a match if manipulating R and G and B as long es the corresponding “white” is in the gamut of both displays, right?

I’m going to try again. I’m not giving up yet 😉

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

If your eyes don’t percept red part of spectrum completely, it will be easy to make blue/red proportions for two displays, if they also don’t use red channel (in protanomaly mode perhaps). But full color model uses it, calibration software can’t exclude red. Even if you get the same white, you  can’t avoid color deformation. Use xy white point setting instead of color temperature, this mode has visual white point editor.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS