Whiteness dfference in dual Dell monitors?

Home Forums Help and Support Whiteness dfference in dual Dell monitors?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Daniel Coffey
    Participant

Tool : i1Display Studio with DisplayCAL 3.8.9.3 under Windows 11

Monitors : Dell U2715H and Dell P2720DC

I am noticing an obvious difference in “whiteness” between my two Dell monitors after using the i1Display Studio and I would appreciate some advice on how I can make sure I am using the tool and software properly.

I have one nVidia 1080ti GPU with DP to the main Dell U2715H and then DP daisychain to the second Dell P2720DC next to it. The U2715 is a distinctly “warmer” white than the P2720 after calibration and is most obvious when you drag a browser window across the desktop between the two. It has a yellowish cast to the screen which can be seen in all colours. Blues take on a slight greenish tint.

DisplayCAL tells me that calibration loading is being handled by the operating system and does show me each monitor is using its own profile. Windows 11 System – Display does show each monitor using its own profile too. Neither monitor is using Night Light mode.

What should I check first to ensure I get the same visual “whiteness” between the two monitors please?

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Here may be two problems:

1. Displays may have different lighting, so you have to set proper spectral corrections for colorimeter. You may try corrections from online database, made with i1Pro 2 (spectrophotometer) in 3nm step are better. Or you may rent i1Pro / i1Pro 2 somewhere.
    2. Even with proper colorimeter corrections or when spectrophotometer is used there’s metamerism effect when you look at displays with different lighting (see attachements). Sad to say, color temperature formula, that is developed for full-spectrum lights, does not consider perceptual factors, that are valuable whe we see display white. The solution is setting WP by eye as a most stable white tint when you change RGB values (in display menu or when you set WP by coordinates in DisplayCAL), that is near standard 6500K WP (or some other for special tasks). Set it for display with wide gamut, than set similar WP by eye for the second display. But note, that whites may run away when room lighting will change. Also note, that you should use relativeli small white square, not a filled screen, to select white. And you should look at it form working distance, it will look different from 3 meters, but you seat close to displays.

Daniel Coffey
    Participant

Thank you – I will look at the spec sheet for the panel types but I susp[ect they are both LCD WLED.

I have managed to get it fairly close and also matched the brightness because I didn’t notice that DisplayCAL defaults to “as measured” for both white point and while level. Now it is a lot more even apart from the slight yellowish cast to the U2715 main monitor relative to the newer P2720.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Better to tune WP/brightness using display menu and set “as measured” in DisplayCAL. But displays usually have too rude RGB scroll bars. Note, that any RGB change (in display menu or by calibration curves) derives to contrast fall and forces “crystalized screen” effect. Brightness decrease with DisplayCAL is made by calibration curves, that is why you should avoid it and tune brigthness in display meny. You can slightly move it after all is done with no color change, but check color stability of your displays by brightness growth, use “as measured WP” during this check. Some displays show RGB relation gaps while changing brightness.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS