White point and white level for rec 709?

Home Forums General Discussion White point and white level for rec 709?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, with a rec709 tone curve what white point and white level should I use?

Vincent
    Participant

You should not use Rec709 TRC for a display. If you want to show Rec709 content you usually want 2.2-2.4-rec1886 on display(or LUT3D) depending on final  target media and contrast of your display.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ah I see, I was misguided then. What tone curve, white point and white level do you recommend for general use? I’m just a content user and don’t work in graphics, so I use my display to watch youtube videos, netflix movies, and play videogames. I’d still like to enjoy all of this as accurately as possible though.

Vincent
    Participant

D65 white, 2.2 gamma and whatever brightness seems ok to your eyes in your current ambient light. Really, just that.
    If your display has a bigger colorspace than sRGB/rec709 you will need to rely on some kind of gamut emulation, inside monitor or by software (LeDoge apps DWMLUT, novideo_sRGB or sRGB simulation in AMD control panel). There are specific threads about them.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is D65 the canonical 6500 or 6504? In fact, I read that in theory it would be closer to 6504. And why gamma 2.2 instead of srgb as the tone curve? I ask because I’m fairly inexperienced in the subject, but I would like to understand and learn more.

Vincent
    Participant

You won’t notice. TRC is explained in another thread.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can you link this tread?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS