White Balance Difficulty

Home Forums General Discussion White Balance Difficulty

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

J Johnson
    Participant

My devices:

i1Display Pro (Colori(?))
    ColorMunki Photo (Spectro(?)

Canon 6D
    Sigma 50mm Art

My method:

Using displaycal, I create a correction chart using my Pro and my Photo. I’m very careful to place both devices in the same position on my screen; I use a different window to mark the location.

Then I set it to use my correction chart, and I use my Pro to measure the color temperature (target: 6500k.)

Because the color temp between my 3 monitors was inconsistent, I tried re-testing to see if the instrument’s reading changed. It did not; it said that my color temperature was still correct, upon retesting. So, my instrument is consistent.

Next, I used my Photo to measure the color temperature – and I tested without a correction chart. Of course, DisplayCal was intelligent enough to know one would not be used in this scenario; it removed even the option to use a correction chart.

My result:

There was little difference – my Pro and my Photo gave very similar color temperature readings.

But, I know the color temperature is still moderately different between my monitors. If I open notepad (white scene) on my monitors, the middle is obviously warmer.

Also, I took a photograph of my 3 monitors with my DSLR and set the color temp to 6500k. You’ll notice that my middle monitor is obviously warmer than the others.

My middle and left monitors are the same panel. The right monitor is the only oddity, it’s a CPVA monitor. I plan to replace it some time, so that I have 3 of the same panel.

Why is my color temp wrong? Why can’t my devices see that it’s wrong? How do I fix this?

• This topic was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by J Johnson.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon   Calibrite ColorChecker Studio on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

See the FAQ sticky thread in the Help & Support forum.

J Johnson
    Participant

I looked at that. I understand the idea of white point being relative, and I’m thinking it’s due to poor panel uniformity (rather than my environment). Sound right?

By taking a photograph, I made it possible to objectively measure the white balance of my displays. If I adjust the left monitor’s EV (brightness) and the middle monitor’s blue tint by just a small amount, the RGB value of the middle monitor shows that it should produce a nearly equal, and possibly cooler image than what the left monitor produces. Yet, it still appears much warmer. So, I’m thinking that the middle monitor just has more warmth in its areas with poor uniformity. And, that’s causing me to perceive the whole middle monitor as warmer.

So, at least with the panels that are the same type – my meters and the calibration worked correctly. Thought?

And thank you!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by J Johnson.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by J Johnson.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Uniformity definitely can play a role. You can work-around uniformity issues throwing you off to some extent by displaying only a small white area on black background to do the whites comparison.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS