Which device & other softwares do I need?

Home Forums General Discussion Which device & other softwares do I need?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

billycar
    Participant

I’ve researched Colorimeters and Spectrometers some, and still wonder which I need. I’m leaning towards the x-rite i1Studio, although its abit pricey. I am a Painter and Photographer who exhibits & sells  work,  presenting quality work. Self-taught when it comes to workflow needs.

Cost is an issue, but quality is more important.

I’d like to have professional workflow completeness for these devices:

MacPro3,1 Quad-Core Intel Xeon 3 GHz (Mac OS X 10.6.8)

Dell U2713H Monitor

CanoScan 9000F Scanner

Canon Pro9000 Mark II Printer

Sony KDL 55HX800 (and some day a 4K Sony) TV/Monitor

Suggestions welcomed.

Sample photograph and painting attached. Both require closer scrutiny with more focused monitor and printer needs.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by billycar. Reason: added additional softwares
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by billycar.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite ColorChecker Studio on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

billycar
    Participant

I watched the argyll ColorMeter video (several times). Seems like that with the i1Display Pro (~$250) and the the argyll ColorMeter software (~$100) would meet my needs? Using the software to reduce the Delta of set values to monitor/TV values is one method.

But then there’s the ColorMunki spectrophotometer’s ability to create ICC profiles. I’m just guessing here … so many new terms and concepts.

Maybe too complex to resolve at this point of my studies. Any help appreciated.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If you want to profile printers as well, then you need a spectrometer (like the ColorMunki Photo/Design, i1 Studio, or i1 Pro 2).

billycar
    Participant

Thankyou, Florian.

I went on and ordered i1Studio as I also got a good deal on it. First time in the spectrometer market, looks like it does all I need. Complete workflow.

Now to see if I can use it under my maximum OS X 10.11 on my Mac Pro 3,1. Advertised as compatible  but … I think I saw somewhere someone had trouble …  looking forward to solving the issue. Can also use the DisplayCAL and argyll applications. Hopeful.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by billycar.

Vincent
    Participant

Buy both: colorimeter & spectrophotometer.

If you want to use U2713H HW calibration feature you need i1DisplayPro or i1Pro2. i1Studio is not supported for Dell’s HW calibration software and even if you know a little about programming Dell’s SDK for writing monitor LUTs does not support old models like U2713H, U2413 or U3014.

So my recomendation is to pair your i1Studio with an i1DisplayPro. You can create CCSS corrections for your Sony TV or Dell and use DisplayCAL with them if you want. You can also calidate HW calibration for U2713H (you can also “fine tune” HW calibration using old way GPU calibration if it does not fit your desired calibration target)
    Custom corrections for U2713H are not need since available corrections for GB-LED displays form Xrite (i1Profiler) or NEC o rother sources are much more accurate than you are going to attain with i1Studio.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Vincent.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

[…]

Let’s not jump down this rabbit hole just yet.

billycar
    Participant

Hmm. Wondering if I should  just eyeball my monitor, TV and guess at the printer like I did for my last photograph.

I enjoyed their video on i1Studio. Hopefully I can piece together similar profiling using i1Studio device and various softwares like DisplayCAL.

Can’t  see myself buying i1DisplayPro or i1Pro2.

Maybe if I sell a few more paintings. Maybe buy a new monitor instead. My U2713H still looks good… Just want it balanced into the equation.

Vincent
    Participant

[…]

Let’s not jump down this rabbit hole just yet.

I know, but I find interesting to explain that his U2713H HW cal capabilities won’t be available if he uses his i1Studio because:

-xrite does not want it

-Dell is not willing and will not  (I’ve asked them) release SDK for older models. So it is not possible (unless you hack some dll in Dell osftware) to use the very accurate ArgyllCMS ecosystem(comand line, Displaycal, HCFR) to compute a 1D calibration for native gamut and upload it to a U2713H as a LUT-matrix-LUT (U2713H HW format).

-i1Pro2 (alone) may be not want he wants/need for one of these 4K TVs out there (at least for LED P3 displays) for a near future upgrade

-not so critical budget limit

But I understand your complains. So since he bought a i1Studio… OK, let he try GPU calibration and if it is not as good as he wants we may revisit what he needs for U2713H HW calibration.

billycar
    Participant

I’ve gotten the i1Studio to run under OS X 10.11.6 on my Mac Pro 3,1.

Experimented with calibrating my U2713H, Sony Bravia KDL 55HX800 and did a Canon Pro9000 Mark II Printer calibration as well.

Utilized the i1Studio software app and your DisplayCAL, to see how they work.

Going back now to look at the variations visually. I like the results and feeling that I am closer to having my Dell monitor match the Sony TV (as a monitor) and will perhaps get better results printing. I immediately see where my blue cast on my Heron photograph came from. Printing one with the new profile is next. I have viewed a soft proof (I think it is called), and see where the blue cast is gone with my new profile.

Just trying to come up with a method to continue … redo the calibrations, and compare.

No sound questions at this point … don’t really know enough to ask … perhaps reading through the other’s paths in this Forum will help.

Thankyou.

Vincent
    Participant

Going back now to look at the variations visually. I like the results and feeling that I am closer to having my Dell monitor match the Sony TV (as a monitor) and will perhaps get better results printing. I immediately see where my blue cast on my Heron photograph came from. Printing one with the new profile is next. I have viewed a soft proof (I think it is called), and see where the blue cast is gone with my new profile.

If blue cast was caused by your previous printer profile the most probable origin of that would be:

-wrong old printer profile (your previous profile): you solved it

-good printer profile (your previous profile) measured in a paper with high OBA content with an spectrophotometer able to read UV content, so  you use softproof with “simulate whitepoint” (as captured by old printer profile, UV content) but you view your printed photos for comparison under a light source without UV content (or less UV content than that profile)… hence white missmatch between display and paper.
    i1Studio/ColorMunki is not able to read UV content so your printer profile does not store that cooler whitepoint (even if paper has it viewed under light sources with near D50 UV content).
    That would mean that your new profile (i1Studio) is accurate for visual appraisal (against your computer display+softproof) only under light sources with no UV or extremely low UV content.
    Or in an equivalent way your old profile needs some kind of D50 with UV light source for printed photo evaluation *if* you use “simulate whitepoint” in softproof.

DisplayCAL profile info app is able to print 2D gamut & whitepoint of priter profiles (at least a few ones I’ve tested) so try to check this by yourself: whitepoint of old printer profile vs new one.

i1Pro2 could read UV or use UV cut but i1Studio only reads with UV cut. Remember that when you choose printer papers and enjoy your i1Studio.

Pampalini
    Participant

Hello

I’m afraid that you will not be able to make hardware calibration with i1 Studio. As far as I know Dell UltraSharp Calibration Solution supports only i1 Display. I have Dell UP2516D, i1pro2 and it does not works with Calibration Solution. Of Course I can made calibration with i1Profiler but it will not be saved into monitor. To make HW calibraion I bought i1Display.

Regarding printer calibrations / profiling it is much more complicated. Of course advice given by Vincent are right, but my suggestion is to choose different , good quality paper without optical brightener.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Pampalini.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS