When to use reshade?

Home Forums Help and Support When to use reshade?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

rutherford conway
    Participant

Not sure this is a question for reshade or the displaycal team.

If i’m playing games in borderless fullscreen window or regular window mode then I don’t need to use reshade to apply the calibration correct?

I’ve come across a few games such as KOTOR2, all the assassins creed games,etc where setting to borderless window is not an option

Florian Höch
    Administrator

A ReShade 3D LUT does not only apply the calibration (which only corrects whitepoint and grayscale), but does full color correction.

rutherford conway
    Participant

Wow, I guess I misunderstood how the calibration worked.

I thought when you loaded a profile it was doing global color correction and when you played a game in fullscreen directx overwrote that profile with its own.

So to get any color correction, I need to use reshade?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

What’s applied globally is only the calibration that is stored with the profile for convenience. The calibration only affects whitepoint and grayscale. To make use of the profile, you need to use ICC color management capable applications (like e.g. Photoshop). Games are normally not color managed, unless you use ReShade to apply a 3D LUT which will do full gamut correction.

rutherford conway
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification.

It looks like the wiki on using displaycal with reshade is now out of date, the instructions provided work with version 2.0 but not version 3

I found a mirror for the older versions here

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/8ar1jhh1809cl/ReShade_Repository#x55ggpi0thaz2

rutherford conway
    Participant

Looks like updated instructions would be to drop

ColorLookupTable.fx in the executable directory + reshade-shaders\Shaders

ColorLookupTable.png in the directory of the executable you are reshading

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The only change needed for ReShade 3 is to get rid of the ReShade.fx that is created by DisplayCAL in the game directory. ColorLookupTable.fx+png can stay in the game folder. I’ll update the Wiki entry.

rutherford conway
    Participant

Should the tone curve for the 3d LUT match the one used in the calibration stage?

Florian Höch (g+)
    Participant

The 3D LUT tone curve overrides whatever is set on the calibration tab. They don’t have to be the same.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS