What would be the correct way to calibrate ThinkPad displays?

Home Forums Help and Support What would be the correct way to calibrate ThinkPad displays?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Guan Yu
    Participant

What would be the correct way to calibrate ThinkPad displays? The RGB can be modified through the Intel control panel, although it appears this is not advisable in practice. DisplayCAL’s laptop preset has this part of the calibration process unticked by default as well. Would the calibration not be rendered ineffective unless the display’s adjustable brightness is locked at calibration? What if I would like to calibrate the display to around 120 cd/m² @ 6500K?

Please forgive me for the many questions.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You can skip the RGB adjustments. Generally, brightness should be adjusted according to the environment you’re in. You don’t necessarily need an instrument for that.

Guan Yu
    Participant

I understand, although I am trying to have the ThinkPad displays match the monitors as closely as possible.

May I know why we should not adjust the RGB through the Intel control panel? Would DisplayCAL not have a better starting point this way?
    I assumed the brightness should be left untouched to retain the calibration. Is this not the case? Is there any way to lock the brightness if true?

Many thanks.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

May I know why we should not adjust the RGB through the Intel control panel?

See the FAQ.

I assumed the brightness should be left untouched to retain the calibration. Is this not the case? Is there any way to lock the brightness if true?

You either adjust brightness prior to calibration or during interactive adjustment, and then don’t touch it.

Guan Yu
    Participant

Thank you for your reply. I had missed the FAQ thread completely whilst searching the forums and the internet to no avail. I believe I have everything figured out now. My calibrated displays look quite similar and I am happy with the results.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS