Weird calibration issues

Home Forums Help and Support Weird calibration issues

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Roman Strijbos
    Participant

Hey guys,

I just got my Benq pd3200u and Colormunki display and im having some weird issues.

First of all the interactive display adjustment. I read that it does not matter what profile I use to begin the calibration, because displaycal does not use these profiles during calibration. Still: when i change profiles during this interactive adjustment the whitepoint changes and I end up with different settings. Even when I change from the default profile and the profile that was created from this profile with displaycal, the interactive display adjustment window shows very different whitepoint outcomes. This is weird because this profile from displaycal was created this very profile and had the same RGB settings to begin with..

Another weird thing I almost forget. When I start a new calibration proces and the previous generated profile is installed the interactive display adjustment keeps on switching between different profiles as it seems and the RGB bars change every few seconds.

Then on to the verification tab. I get pretty bad delta e readings when I test the generated 3D LUT in combination with the installed new profile. When I verificate the 3D LUT again, but with the default display profile (which looks terrible btw) I suddenly get very good delta e readings. As if the LUT was generated for that default profile and not the profile generated with displaycal calibration.

I used a correction I found in the library for this particular monitor, but there were more. How do I know this is the proper one?

I followed the guide on this site on how to calibrate your GUI screen for resolve.. I did uncheck the ‘apply calibration vcgt’ box and iterative gray balance. Macbook pro 13″ 2019

I hope someone can help me with these weird issues!

Thanks in advance,

Roman

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Roman Strijbos
    Participant

Is maybe the problem i’m using the wrong profile type? If i leave it to default I get a warning that macos can only use ‘single curve + matrix’. Which one is the correct setting?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Still: when i change profiles during this interactive adjustment the whitepoint changes and I end up with different settings.

You should not interfere with the calibration process in this way. After starting calibration, the display is setup correctly for the following measurements. Tinkering with that is going to result in problems.

Another weird thing I almost forget. When I start a new calibration proces and the previous generated profile is installed the interactive display adjustment keeps on switching between different profiles as it seems and the RGB bars change every few seconds.

Are you using any third-party software that is messing with display colors? If so, you will have to disable it.

Then on to the verification tab. I get pretty bad delta e readings when I test the generated 3D LUT in combination with the installed new profile.

Post your verification settings please.

I used a correction I found in the library for this particular monitor, but there were more. How do I know this is the proper one?

The PD3200U seems to be a standard gamut white led backlit monitor, so the appropriate correction that comes with DisplayCAL should be used (“Spectral: LCD White LED family (AC, LG, Samsung)”).

Is maybe the problem i’m using the wrong profile type? If i leave it to default I get a warning that macos can only use ‘single curve + matrix’. Which one is the correct setting?

If I understand you right you only want Resolve to be correct, in which case do not change profile type.

Roman Strijbos
    Participant

Hi Florian,

Thanks for your answer!

I’ll post a screenshots of my verification settings (and other settings). I just calibrated again with the same problems..

I’ll also post the verification reports I generated: one with my newly installed profile after calibrating + the 3D LUT, the other is without the profile installed in my MacOS settings. As you can see the verification report without the generated profile is good (at least the report, it looks pretty dark),  when I install the profile and run the verification I get a lot of error in the greys. The greys look super washed out too..

I hope this makes it clear what the problem is 🙂

Thanks!!!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Roman Strijbos
    Participant

I think choosing the wrong correction was the problem all along. I did a quick calibration with a small amount of patches with the suggested correction and the verification seems better now WITH my profile installed. I don’t know anymore what looks wrong or right but I think this was the problem!

Now with my installed 3D LUT there is no need anymore to check the box ‘Use Mac Display Color Profiles for Viewers’ in resolve right?

Thanks very much Florian and also sorry for my noobness.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’m seeing in your reports that measured luminance fluctuates quite a bit. Disable any and all dynamic circuitry in the monitor (e.g. dynamic dimming/backlight/contrast, auto-brightness, ambient sensors etc). Same for macOS, which has an auto-brightness feature on some monitors.

You’ll get better results once the monitor is stable.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS