Was calibration unnecessary?

Home Forums Help and Support Was calibration unnecessary?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

johnlit
    Participant

Hello. I’m pretty ignorant about calibrating/profiling despite having done it for a few years now; I just try to follow directions and I’m mostly happy with the results I’ve been getting lately. But I had something happen recently that I’ve never seen before:

When I opened and ran DisplayCAL the interactive display adjustment showed all four variables (RGB and brightness) already meeting in the middle, along with the green “good to go” text. This was before I even made any adjustments. It had been about 3-4 weeks since the last calibration. I went ahead with the process but really couldn’t tell any difference afterward.

Considering that all the variables were already “in the middle” was the calibration unnecessary?

Thanks

Vincent
    Participant

Considering that all the variables were already “in the middle” was the calibration unnecessary?

No. “Interactive display adjustment” tells nothing about grey neutrality and gamma.

Same applies to the profiling stage after calibration, your previous profile may not be an accurate description of your current display behavior.

Next time before you recalibrate just validate your current calibration & profile in “Measurement report”. If it’s fine with just minor white point drift then keep it. Repeat periodically until it drifts too much.

johnlit
    Participant

Okay, thanks for that.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS