Want sRGB only from Wide Gamut LCD

Home Forums Help and Support Want sRGB only from Wide Gamut LCD

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

jaynyc
    Participant

Hi.  This is my first post here.  My Windows 10 laptop, Thinkpad T520, has a Wide Gamut LCD, without the ability in Bios to flip to an sRGB mode like some desktop monitors have.  I also have an i1Display Pro, and I’ve made a contribution to DisplayCal+Argyllcms.

I want to have a calibrated display, but I’m not a professional photographer, so I only really care about sRGB.  I can get the browsers Edge and Chrome to force sRGB for web content, but for all other Windows experiences (icons, tilebars, other applications) the colors are over saturated.

Is it possible to run a calibration with DisplayCal such that the profile it creates, when I make it the system default, ‘eliminates’ the wide gamut nature of my display and just effectively makes it run of the mill sRGB?

In other words, can DisplayCal help me reduce my gamut so that I basically just have an sRGB calibrated display?

Thanks

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I’ve made a contribution to DisplayCal+Argyllcms .

Thank you for your support! 🙂

Is it possible to run a calibration with DisplayCal such that the profile it creates, when I make it the system default, ‘eliminates’ the wide gamut nature of my display and just effectively makes it run of the mill sRGB?

Unfortunately this is not possible under Windows, as it doesn’t employ desktop-wide color management (only few applications in Windows itself make use of display profiles, so for color managed viewing, you’re reliant on 3rd party software). This means UI elements in particular will not be color managed. For color managed content, there’s solutions available (Gimp, Affinity Photo, Photoshop, XnView MP for pictures, MPC-HC or MPC-BE + madVR for video, just to name a few).

jaynyc
    Participant

Thank you Florian.  Seems I need to accept this situation or swap out for an sRGB monitor.

Question:  to your knowledge, is streaming video from YouTube.com or Netflix.com using a color managed browser going to look correct, or is it going to be over saturated etc?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by jaynyc.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thank you Florian. Seems I need to accept this situation or swap out for an sRGB monitor.

A 3D LUT box in the signal path may also be an option (e.g. eeColor, if you only require 1080p and your display has HDMI inputs).

Question: to your knowledge, is streaming video from YouTube.com or Netflix.com using a color managed browser going to look correct, or is it going to be over saturated etc?

Last time I checked video wasn’t color managed in the browser (Windows, not sure about the situation under macOS).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS