Visual vs Numeric Whitepoint?

Home Forums Help and Support Visual vs Numeric Whitepoint?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ive been spending the last couple days trying to get a good calibration on my Dell U2713H. Ive been coming across an issue of a slight green cast when setting display white point to 6500k, ive been using it like this for a year and its been bothering me. This is using Calibration settings based on all the forum searching i could do for this display in custom color mode

Display: Dell U2713H (GB-r LED)

Colorimeter: Colormunki Display 

Mode: LCD (Generic)

Correction : LCD GB-r-LED (Dell U2413)

Whitepoint: As Measured (corrected via OSD)

White/Black level as measure at 121.98 cd/m2

Gamma 2.2

Profile XYZ LUT + matrix with black point compensation

Those result in a very slight green cast, so i went digging and found the visual white point editor. Using this with display calibration removed i set my visual white point that looked correct to my eyes which turned out to be 6850k (which is roughly the factory  aRGB whitepoint funny enough) and then used the OSD to set 6850k and as measured whitepoint to once again calibrate the display. This calibration now has no green cast and looks more visually correct.

Now,  sorry for the long story but i wanted all the information there first. My question is how much of a problem is it to have the slightly higher whitepoint if I visually see white with 6850k and not at 6500k? The measured numeric white just looks wrong on the display but if this is something of an issue for photo work i may just have to suck it up and deal with it.

Thanks for any responses

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

MW
    Participant

The difference is trumped by the difference in the spectral correction. Check for the user database for a correction specific to your display model.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The difference is trumped by the difference in the spectral correction. Check for the user database for a correction specific to your display model.

I took a look at the database and there was one that seemed fairly well made with an i1 pro2 3.3nm and it seems to have resolved my color cast issue at 6500k. Thank you for the tip, now i can have the correct temperature and whites dont look bizarre

Vincent
    Participant

Both are GB-LED so default correction should be fine. Plot both CCSS and you’ll see if they differ.
    Sometimes color cast are caused by bad color uniformity. Measured central point is not a good representative of overall  pixels not close to border. Due to very limited uniformity compensation in those dells, alt wp or moved i1d3 placement are the only solution.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Both are GB-LED so default correction should be fine. Plot both CCSS and you’ll see if they differ.
    Sometimes color cast are caused by bad color uniformity. Measured central point is not a good representative of overall  pixels not close to border. Due to very limited uniformity compensation in those dells, alt wp or moved i1d3 placement are the only solution.

I figured out the main reason for my color cast was improper usage of the OSD to get my whitepoint. The user CCSS covered those mistakes a bit but After tinkering with it for several hours i managed to remove any visible cast and fix issues i was having with the 50% grey range deviation. My 000 black is still a bit off at 1.32ΔE00 and a drop to a gamma of 2 with blue bias but the rest of the range is looking good an fairly steady around 2.2 gamma sub 0.7ΔE00 @ 6500k white point.

MW
    Participant

I’d consider that a pretty good result for the tech.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS