Viewsonic VP2780-4K 3-D LUT

Home Forums Help and Support Viewsonic VP2780-4K 3-D LUT

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Robin
    Participant

Hello,

I am new to this forum, and new to calibration and profiling – and experiencing many problems so I apologize if I ask a lot of dumb questions.

I have just purchased a Viewsonic VP2780-4K monitor.  It has a 14-bit 3-D LUT.  Unfortunately there was no mention of calibration, profiling or 3-D LUT creation of installation in any of the documentation.

Does DisplayCAL support the creation and installation of a 3-D LUT on this monitor?

I use Sypder5.

With thanks,

Robin

Vincent
    Participant

-Viewsonic has a free tool to calibrate some models called “Colorbration” (sic). It writes internal monitor LUTs, then measure calibarted monitor and with that info it creates a profile (ICC/ICM file) for OS & color managed apps.
    Viewsonic tool was developed by Xrite team for OEM so it only supports xrite devices: i1DisplayPro and i1Pro/I1Pro2.
    AFAIK your model is not supported by this tool from Viewsonic.

-In order to write the monitor’s internal LUTs you need a SDK specfic to that monitor or brand.
    Some companies offer a public SDK to read/write monitor’s internal LUTs (available to everybody), like some models from Dell or HP.
    Other manufacturers have such SDKs but they are not public for consumers, only for selected developers, for example (and AFAIK) some models of Dell, NEC, Eizo, Viewsonic, Wacom…etc
    So AFAIK there is no public SDK or library to write any monitor form Viewsonic

-(AFAIK) DisplayCAL does not support any of these SDKs even if they are public or available by a fee. Since DisplayCAL is GNU-like I believe that the odds that it supports in future non free SDKs are minimal.

So it seems that you ar stuck using graphics card calibration with tools like DisplayCAL.

PS. I almost certain at 90% that even if they advertise it, VP2780-4K has no LUT3D.
    Maybe a LUT-matrix-LUT for limiting to Rec709 gamut the excess from gamuts in some Rec709-like WLED backlights like other mid/high-end monitors of its kind and price range (best scenario), or even just plain old LUT for storing factory calibration for grey ramp and white.
    Some OSD options may point to the best scenario and the lack of them to a plain old LUT for grey.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

GillRios
    Participant

Hi…If you don’t need 3D LUTs and internal probe you might want to look at CX or even cheaper CS models, which feature a similar if not the same panel.Most other computer displays suffer from not being able to show other framerates than 30 fps.
    I want at least a monitor with 1:1 pixel and framerate support for 24, 25 and 30 fps.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS