Viewing Conditions Adjustments

Home Forums General Discussion Viewing Conditions Adjustments

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

a10bluea10
    Participant

Hello,

When using the ambient light level to make viewing conditions adjustments, I’m seeing in the log that there’s a Viewing Conditions Adjustment Power with some value like 1.2~, and I was wondering how exactly does this affect the gamma mathematically (if it even is a simple gamma power adjustment) from for example Rec. 1886’s 2.4 Absolute? Additionally, how would I be able to apply these viewing conditions adjustments to a 3DLUT, to be used with ReShade for example? Would I have to change the power in the 3D LUT tab from 2.4 to what this new adjusted power would be?

Thank you for your time.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

the viewing condition adjustment is based on CIECAM02.

Additionally, how would I be able to apply these viewing conditions adjustments to a 3DLUT, to be used with ReShade for example?

Don’t use the calibration viewing condition adjustment for this as it only affects non color managed applications. Use advanced profiling options instead.

a10bluea10
    Participant

Hi,

the viewing condition adjustment is based on CIECAM02.

Additionally, how would I be able to apply these viewing conditions adjustments to a 3DLUT, to be used with ReShade for example?

Don’t use the calibration viewing condition adjustment for this as it only affects non color managed applications. Use advanced profiling options instead.

Thank you for the response. I’m slowly digesting the topics related to this, so I also apologize in advance for any ignorance or misunderstanding of mine.

Would you mean that I should use the CIECAM02 Gamut Mapping options for the Perceptual intent on the Profiling tab, and then setting the ReShade 3DLUT’s rendering intent to Perceptual would include what adjustments would be made by said options adjustments? Additionally and if that is the case: The different options available for the source and destination conditions in said menu seem to be presets that have canned values (image luminance, image to background ratio, etc.) based on what I’m seeing in the log. I may be wrong or misunderstanding how it’s working, but is there a way to use the values given by my actual viewing conditions as measured for the destination?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Ah, I forgot you wanted to create a 3D LUT. In that case, you either need to use B2A gamut mapping mode on the 3D LUT tab, or instead of using CIECAM02 in advanced profiling options, specify the CIECAM02 adjustment as additional command line parameters to collink (which in your case may make more sense if you want to manually specify viewing conditions instead of using canned presets, see ArgyllCMS collink documentation for the -c and -d parameters).

a10bluea10
    Participant

I’ll dive into the documentation you linked and try to make sense of it.

Thanks again for the help!

a10bluea10
    Participant

Let me know if I need to post a new topic for this in Help & Support but I thought I’d start here with an additional question since it’s related:

When adding additional command line options for collink, in the logs it appears to pass them when creating a 3D LUT from the 3D LUT tab, but when creating a profile from measurement data (to implement my customized viewing conditions), it does not appear that collink is passed said options when it’s called for the CIECAM02 Gamut mapping. Is there a way to do so? I would also like to make these adjustments to the main icm profile so that what color-managed software I use would also show the adjustments.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

it does not appear that collink is passed said options when it’s called for the CIECAM02 Gamut mapping. Is there a way to do so?

No, not currently.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS