Very weird problem with new monitor

Home Forums Help and Support Very weird problem with new monitor

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

hi! So I got my laptop panel changed for a more serious one, 4K, real 8 bits, according to your software have a super wide gamut, 100  sRGB, 99. % AdobeRGB. And al, the numbers on the tests are like incredible in every way… But…. A big BUT…..  By pure coincidence I found that there is a huge difference between 253,253,253 and 254,254,254 and 255,255,255 like if you make a full white document and use a font  254,254,254 you can clearly read it….  Is there a way that I can just do a measure of the screen only in gray, 8 bits, every single value from 0.0.0 to 255.255.255  ? And do you think an ICC or LUT can fix something like this? It’s a very new screen and kind of a hack of the BIOS of the computer was needed to support it,  not the BIOS of the GPU, but I doubt that would affect the gamma curve in such way…  All the rest seems to be awesome, a really low delta error, in fact, the software was unable to detect this issue with the regular calibration, not even with the slow method that took like 5 hours…

In fact, after the correction, 255,255,255 was white, 254,254,254 had a blue tint, 253,253,253 had a green tint and after that and lower was normal.

Withiut the calibration, there is no tint on those values but still are totally off as I explained.

Any clues? Recommendations? Ideas? Miracles? :-))))

p.dada
    Participant

You should include your monitor model and your calibration settings, too.

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

It is a laptop, so I can tell you the panel model only, not sure that will tell you much though,

AUO B173ZAN01.0

its a 4K panel, 8bits, not the cheap 6 bits ones

the problem I’m observing on the top gray area as explained, it happens with and without calibration. But the calibration I’m selecting is 130 cmd, which I get perfect by the brightness control on the interactive adjustment, and white 6500 gamma 2.2

the correction once applied actually does not change much from the uncalibrated state, but is that huge difference between the top 3 values of gray what is weird and the software probably didn’t detected because probably does not check every single gray value I presume.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It’s not uncommon for LCD panels to behave weirdly near their channel maxima, but usually the electronics that drive the panel make sure that those are not reached. Maybe in your case the electronics weren’t properly adjusted for the panel. There’s a way around it though: Set a calibration white level that’s slightly below the actual panel brightness. This will adjust the video card gamma tables so that the problematic zone near the LCD panel’s limits is no longer used.

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

Thanks. That’s a pretty good idea. Will let you know if that helps.

Anyway, is there a way that I can generate a report of the Uncalibrated monitor only of the gray all the way from zero to 255 of every step? 256 measures I think? And get a curve or the gamma?

Im in contact with the company that import those panels who is reporting back to the maker of the panel. And feedback can help get a better version or may be a better firmware of the panel.

Thanks.

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

Is it possible ?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You can create a custom measurement by using the menu “Options” -> “Measure testchart”.

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

and run it with the gamma table reset? How can I be sure it will be testing without any profile loaded? I got the part ofmaking my charts, works asexpected, thanks.

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

when creating the grayscale testchart, the gamma of the testchart should be 1? that wouls test the linearity of the grayscale right? I just uncheck everything and select 256 on the neutral patches right?? What about the RGB black offset? and neutral RGB white?

thanks

Florian Höch
    Administrator

and run it with the gamma table reset?

Yes.

when creating the grayscale testchart, the gamma of the testchart should be 1? that wouls test the linearity of the grayscale right? I just uncheck everything and select 256 on the neutral patches right??

Yes.

What about the RGB black offset? and neutral RGB white?

That only influences the diagnostic 3D view(s) of the test points that you can generate.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS