Very unsteady whitepoint

Home Forums Help and Support Very unsteady whitepoint

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Paul Muresan
    Participant

Hi there,

Although I calibrated my display in a dark and in a bright room I can not achieve a steady whitepoint. (See measurements) I calibrated my display (DELL S3220DGF) with  stock settings. Is there a solution to get the whitepoint right? I also use a DELL U2515H as secondary display which suffers from the same problem. My main display (DELL S3220DGF) has a warm white and my scondary display (DELL U2515H) a cold white after calibration. How can I achieve the same whitepoint so white looks the same on both displays? Both displays should be very capable so I don’t think this is a hardware limitation. I used a Ezio EX3 (datacolor Spyder5).

• This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Paul Muresan.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Paul Muresan.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

My main display (DELL S3220DGF) has a warm white and my scondary display (DELL U2515H) a cold white after calibration. How can I achieve the same whitepoint so white looks the same on both displays? Both displays should be very capable so I don’t think this is a hardware limitation. I used a Ezio EX3 (datacolor Spyder5).

That’s the potential 1st source of issues.
    2nd one if you owned a an i1d3 colorimeter will be user misconfiguration because it did not apply a generic correction suitable for each display.
    3rd one would be generic corrections unsuitable for at least one displays and it’s corrected uing DisplayCAL visual whitepoint editor to get a match.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Paul Muresan
    Participant

Thank you for your answer!

So you think its the fault of my Ezio EX3 ? The difference is to big, honestly I don’t think its the colormiter which is faulty. The warm white on my main display and cold white on my secondary display doesnt change with calibration.

3rd one would be generic corrections unsuitable for at least one displays and it’s corrected uing DisplayCAL visual whitepoint editor to get a match.

Where can I find this editor?  Is it under “Calibration” -> “Whitepoint” -> “Color temperature”? If yes, which option is sutable for a neutral white in a dark room? The measured whitepoint is alsways around 7200K, but I have only the option between 5000K and 6500K…

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Paul Muresan.

Vincent
    Participant

Thank you for your answer!

So you think its the fault of my Ezio EX3 ? The difference is to big, honestly I don’t think its the colormiter which is faulty. The warm white on my main display and cold white on my secondary display doesnt change with calibration.

Unless your two displays emit the same kind of spectralpower distribution… that’s extacly what is expected to get. Constant difference in wp of 2 displays, both of them with whitepoint off because unsuitable correction for those backlights or poor QC (since it’s a Spyder after all)

Where can I find this editor?  Is it under “Calibration” -> “Whitepoint” -> “Color temperature”? If yes, which option is sutable for a neutral white in a dark room? The measured whitepoint is alsways around 7200K, but I have only the option between 5000K and 6500K…

If monitor has not OSD gain controls you’l have to choose the closest OSD preset and let GPU calibration handle the difference to whatever caibration target you set (a numerical one or a visual one).

Paul Muresan
    Participant

(since it’s a Spyder after all)

What do you mean by that? Do you think the Spider5 is a worse colorimeter? Speaking of the Spyder5: my display should easly have a contrast ratio of 3000:1. The spyder5 reports only ~1600:1… is it a limitation of the spyder and in reality ~3000:1  is displayed or does the display really only reach ~1600:1 with the loaded color profile?

If monitor has not OSD gain controls you’l have to choose the closest OSD preset and let GPU calibration handle the difference to whatever caibration target you set (a numerical one or a visual one).

In the OSD menu I have many options for color, but I rather won’t touch them.

Alright, I’ll try with a fixed color temperature!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Paul Muresan.

Vincent
    Participant

Spyders and low light readings never were close friends.
    Spyders3/4/5 inter intrument agrrement and out of the box readings without a custom made 3×3 matrix are in the same situation.

i1d3 was a game changer because of good inter instrument agreement, non fading filters and actual spectral sensivities stored in firmware. SpyderX lacks of last one but has the other two, although dark readings are still subpar.

Usually spyder owners are people that did not have that information in advance before buying, maybe misguided by blogs and its covered advertisement.

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Paul Muresan
    Participant

Usually spyder owners are people that did not have that information in advance before buying, maybe misguided by blogs and its covered advertisement.

Yeah nobody told me except for that the Spyder5 is the same as the SpiderX (latter has software included, therefore more expensive)… but as you said, they are obviously not the same. When I was looking for a colorimeter the price/performance was very important to me. Bought the Spyder5 new for ~70€ from amazon, so I can not complain… 😉

Thank you for your adivse. Calibration is running, lets see if setting whitepoint to 7200K improves the situation. 😉

Vincent
    Participant

Yeah nobody told me except for that the Spyder5 is the same as the SpiderX (latter has software included, therefore more expensive)… but as you said, they are obviously not the same. When I was looking for a colorimeter the price/performance was very important to me. Bought the Spyder5 new for ~70€ from amazon, so I can not complain… ????

Thank you for your adivse. Calibration is running, lets see if setting whitepoint to 7200K improves the situation. ????

It is not. Spyder4/5 are mostly paperweights, SpyderX is a very different device akin in design to i1d3 but slower, with  worse low light readings (tech constraints) and without spectral sensivities stored in firmware as far as we know (that is a design choice -a bad one- or maybe patent limitation of a 3rd party)

Visual whtepoint is not about measured CCT, it’s about a visual match. Also CCT says little to what color has a white, even with an accurate device. It’s 1 coordinate in a plane…. you’re missing another number to locate a point. Go to wikipedia and you’ll see, there are a lot of colors with the same CCT

Patrick1978
    Participant

It’s a shame that proper reviews of colorimeters are hard to find/nonexistent.

Back when I was trying to decide what to get in 2012 all I could find were bloggers that had been gifted some product and  writing a “review” that just detailed the unboxing and software usage.

I feel lucky that I decided to get the i1Display Pro

Paul Muresan
    Participant

Visual whtepoint is not about measured CCT, it’s about a visual match. Also CCT says little to what color has a white, even with an accurate device. It’s 1 coordinate in a plane…. you’re missing another number to locate a point. Go to wikipedia and you’ll see, there are a lot of colors with the same CCT

I calibrated both displays to 6500K. But as you said the color of white is not the same. My main display is more “reddish” and my secondary dsiplay “blueish” still… How can I achieve the same neutral white in 6500K without to screw the colors?

It is not. Spyder4/5 are mostly paperweights, SpyderX is a very different device akin in design to i1d3 but slower, with  worse low light readings (tech constraints) and without spectral sensivities stored in firmware as far as we know (that is a design choice -a bad one- or maybe patent limitation of a 3rd party)

I hope so, the i1d3  is eventually ~3 times more expensive. I do not work as a professional on my display. I just want to be very close to 100% sRGB so I can consume content in the way it was meant to be consumed. And I want my displays to look the same. The difference in whitepoint is therefore very disruptive. When I only use  my main display everything is fine. The moment I turn my secondary display on suddenly white on my main monitor seems red and on the secondary screen seems blue…. -_-

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

I calibrated both displays to 6500K. But as you said the color of white is not the same. My main display is more “reddish” and my secondary dsiplay “blueish” still… How can I achieve the same neutral white in 6500K without to screw the colors?

Visual whitepoint editor or a better measurement device.
    In the visual approach you do not screw the colors, because measured color cordinates by an innacurate or misconfigured device are not close to “actual” color coordinates. = screens are likely not close to 6500k daylight white.

I hope so, the i1d3  is eventually ~3 times more expensive. I do not work as a professional on my display. I just want to be very close to 100% sRGB so I can consume content in the way it was meant to be consumed. And I want my displays to look the same. The difference in whitepoint is therefore very disruptive. When I only use  my main display everything is fine. The moment I turn my secondary display on suddenly white on my main monitor seems red and on the secondary screen seems blue…. -_-

You can’t. You fix white & grey in the calibration you made, nothing more. Then you measure with that calibration applied and make a profile, a description of actual display response (with grey calibration applied).
    Not color managed apps won’t care about that profile so if your display R,G,B primaries are not close to sRGB ones…it will look off *.
    On color managed apps, content colorspace and display colrspace(profile) will intersect, so you’ll only see that inersection volume.

*) as an example typical common displays LED 99% sRGB intersection actually have a colorspace bigger than sRGB. Intersection of those two 3D volumes is 99% sRGB, but R & G primaries are actually a little more saturated than sRGB ones. It is not dramatic but you cannot fix it without color management or a LUT3D/lut-matrix. It will look a little off on Chrome, IE, most games, some video players, etc..

Vincent
    Participant

Also “White LED” correction applied to Spyder measurements  is missing… so it’s very likely that you didn’t choose it for calibrating  => 2nd common cause in my 1st message that cause your issues

Paul Muresan
    Participant

First of all: thank you for your time to explain this whole subject to me! 🙂 As you can probably tell I am not very versed in this topic, so I am sorry if I should ask stupid questions…

How can I achieve the same neutral white in 6500K without to screw the colors?

Visual whitepoint editor or a better measurement device.

What do you mean by visual whitepoint editor? Where can I find a good one?

screens are likely not close to 6500k daylight white.

The only way to tell if this is true is probabily with a more capable colorimeter, right?

It is not dramatic but you cannot fix it without color management or a LUT3D/lut-matrix. It will look a little off on Chrome, IE, most games, some video players, etc..

Yeah I noticed that the colors in Opera look different from the colors in Windows explorer etc. For example if I look at a picture on the browser and on the same image side by side on Windows Photo Viewer the colors look different. Why is that and how can I fix this? Are other applications like games also affected?

Paul Muresan
    Participant

Also “White LED” correction applied to Spyder measurements  is missing… so it’s very likely that you didn’t choose it for calibrating  => 2nd common cause in my 1st message that cause your issues

You mean Spectral: LCD White LED family (AC, LG, Samsung)?

Note: I use a DELL display, if it matters..

Paul Muresan
    Participant

What do you mean by visual whitepoint editor? Where can I find a good one?

Nevermind found it under calibration -> whitepoint -> Chromaticity coordinates.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS