Very low gamut reading on xl2411p, strange gamma after calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Very low gamut reading on xl2411p, strange gamma after calibration

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

AaronC
    Participant

Recently I purchased a TN panel,  a BENQ xl2411p TN panel as a secondary monitor, the main uses being for gaming and for throwing drawing reference material on. Understandably, giving it’s a gaming-flavored monitor as well as a TN panel, there are bound to be color inaccuracies and I’m not expecting a 1-to-1 between it and my IPS panel.

However, after any attempts at calibration, there are a few oddities.

1.) The color gamut reported is always considerably low than what is expected. After calibration, it is consistently around ~70% sRGB (50% AdobeRGB), when specs report it should be around ~95% sRGB.  The results are quickly apparent, with highlights appearing blown out and skin tones being noticeably shifted towards green.

2.) Gamma appears noticably off. For example, when using a test like http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gamma_calibration.php , at the 48% luminescence test,  the gamma response is shockingly low from all colors, anywhere between 1.2  to 1.6. This is despite calibrating for gamma 2.2. It should also be noted that no community corrections (or spectral W-LED corrections) seem to affect either of these bullet points, whether they are used or not.

3.) The monitor comes with an .icc profile on a disk. This works surprisingly well at maintaining colors to match my other monitor compared to calibration attempts, among other things; however there appear to be notable gamma differences. Midtones and highlights seem considerably more spread apart on this TN panel compared to my IPS panel when using this .icc profile. It should also be noted that this .icc profile, when using the lagom.nl gamma calibration, reports around 2.2. Ideally I’d still like to calibrate this monitor with my colorimeter for a much more tailored result.

I should note that I’m calibrating for a whitepoint of 6500k and a white level of 120cd/m^2 (perhaps this could be an issue?).

Could anybody help me with what steps I could take to troubleshoot these issues? I’m not sure with what direction to go from here.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

1.) The color gamut reported is always considerably low than what is expected

TN panels often have poor sRGB coverage, and as a result even worse coverage of any larger colorspace. Manufacturer claims for this market segment usually have to be taken with a big grain of salt.

2.) Gamma appears noticably off.

Very likely related to the poor viewing angles associated with TN panel technology. If you happen to be using Google Chrome, you cannot correctly view “gamma” test images unless you calibrate to sRGB (or force sRGB in Chrome’s flags) because Chrome (at least on Windows and Linux) does not support proper color management. [ Also note the FAQ entry regarding usefulness – or lack thereof – of “gamma” test images in a color managed environment ]

3.) The monitor comes with an .icc profile on a disk.

Probably canned and not based on real measurements, so useless from an accuracy and color management perspective.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS