Verify Rec709 (hardware calibrated) via Decklink

Home Forums Help and Support Verify Rec709 (hardware calibrated) via Decklink

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • Author

Vincent
    Participant

This is all very confusing to me. The result of the BenQ software validation are like the complete opposite of the DisplayCal output…

Benq HW for SW line is trash, Benq PME Software is trash too. That’s the explanation.

PME corrects i1dsiplaypro readings with a RGB LED CCSS (and old and never used again backlight in first LED wigemauts fro HP). They use that for ALL Benq SW, no matter is they are QLED variantes (like your CCSS plot), GB-LED variants (like bundled CCSS fro U2413) or WLED PFS variants (like SW240 that you can find in bundled CCSS WLED PFS fro HP z24x). Benq does not care and never cared about this, this is as old as SW2700PT.
    Some i1displaypros are closer to std observer hence even with a wrong correction they need to correct “less”, so YMMV. It is not your colorimeter’s fault. It’s Benq software fault. i1displaypro family is designed to self-correct with software using a display spectral power distribution sample (those grapth you plotted, “emitted light” per visible wavelength). It’s manufacture’s responsability to provide proper sample for their own software.

Another of the many faults of SW-line and PME software is that Benq as manufacturer (actually 3rd party AUO assemble) cannot guarantee that out of the box grey is perfect. In those cases you need to take more measurements of uncalibrated greyscale, otherwise color tint go unnoticed.
    Using PMEs own report it shows huge colorations at grey 216, +1.3 a*, pink tint in grayscale. I repeat it. Using Benq PME own report it is saying BAD grayscale.

Also in newer models they use low cost low quality panels which result on poor color uniformity.  In order to have some use of them a factory uniformity compensation is applied, but that destroys contrast. Uniformity destroying contrast is not Benq specific, uniformity compenseatin needs to destroy contrast depending on severity to make several screen zones have the same color. From nominal 1000:1 you end up with ~650:1… for a display that is meant for video! It’s a nonsense.
    BUT, this may be user’s fault. Maybe you are using wrong range configuration in “common GPU” used for PME. Check that, maybe you setup GPU to 16-235 but monitor is expecting 0-255 and there is no contrast issue. We cannot know all user misconfiguration in display chain. Pleas check this in your GPU control pannel (the common one whare you plugged it to calibrate with PME).

If you HW cal cannot be trusted, move to custom OSD mode and use DisplayCAL to calibrate as any other display. There is a Resolve faq. Keep that munki CCSS active for the whole process & validation. Same if you wish to make indivisual spot reads with HCFR.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS