Verification Settings

Home Forums Help and Support Verification Settings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Michael
    Participant

I’m calibrating a Samsung KU7000 UHD TV as a PC monitor.  I’m calibrating it with a white point of 6500° Kelvin, a white level of 100 cd/m^2, and the sRGB tone curve.  With the TV in PC mode, with all contrast enhancements and such turned off, DisplayCal is able to run calibration, and the results look great.

My only question involves the Verification report.  Using the Extended Verification test chart, if I leave the Simulation Profile checked, the report says my calibration is way off.  If I turn off the Simulation Profile, the report looks much better – everything comes up in the green, in fact.

Am I supposed to turn this off, and if so, why?  There is so much about color calibration I don’t understand, and I’m messing with DisplayCal to learn.  Some explanation as to which calibration method, and Verification settings I should be using would be helpful.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

My only question involves the Verification report. Using the Extended Verification test chart, if I leave the Simulation Profile checked, the report says my calibration is way off.

Make sure “Use simulation profile as target” is not enabled.

Some explanation as to which calibration method, and Verification settings I should be using would be helpful.

The settings you used are fine for use of the TV as PC monitor. Verification is detailed in great depth in the documentation.

Michael
    Participant

I read everything about verification I could find in the documentation, but I still couldn’t understand what the “Use simulation profile as target” setting was all about, nor could I determine whether it should be enabled or not.  That’s why I asked.  But, if you say it should not be enabled, that’s good enough for me.  Thanks.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I still couldn’t understand what the “Use simulation profile as target” setting was all about

This setting is only useful in a scenario where a display is adjusted to match the selected simulation target without ICC color management, i.e. by using the display controls, an external 3D LUT box or similar.

Michael
    Participant

I still couldn’t understand what the “Use simulation profile as target” setting was all about

This setting is only useful in a scenario where a display is adjusted to match the selected simulation target without ICC color management, i.e. by using the display controls, an external 3D LUT box or similar.

Oh, I understand.  Thanks for taking the time to explain!

Michael
    Participant

Setting the white point and white level to “as measured”, and the tone curve to sRGB, I got the attached verification results on a Samsung KU7000 TV, being used as a computer monitor. They seem very good to me. The only glitch I see is the gamma a tiny bit off at 95% luminance, but I’m guessing that that isn’t visible. In an effort to learn, I would like to figure out what’s causing that…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The only glitch I see is the gamma a tiny bit off at 95% luminance, but I’m guessing that that isn’t visible. In an effort to learn, I would like to figure out what’s causing that…

It is normal for gamma to fluctuate more at the extremes, because near white and black, a comparatively small change in luminance leads to a comparatively large change in gamma. The visual significance of this is negligible, though.

Michael
    Participant

The only glitch I see is the gamma a tiny bit off at 95% luminance, but I’m guessing that that isn’t visible. In an effort to learn, I would like to figure out what’s causing that…

It is normal for gamma to fluctuate more at the extremes, because near white and black, a comparatively small change in luminance leads to a comparatively large change in gamma. The visual significance of this is negligible, though.

Thanks Florian,

I figured that slight gamma error was insignificant.  And I don’t do critical color work, and don’t need a perfectly calibrated display.  I’m just doing this to occupy my time, and learn something new.  I’m really enjoying your program.  Thanks again…

Michael
    Participant

Florian, is there an easy way to run that same verification report without a color profile active?  It would be nice to be able to compare a display before and after calibration.  Thanks…

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Florian, is there an easy way to run that same verification report without a color profile active?

“Use simulation profile as target” can be used for that.

Michael
    Participant

So, just so I’m sure I understand…  If I select “Use simulation profile as target”, and chose the sRGB profile, my monitor will be tested, uncalibrated, against the sRGB standard instead of my calibration profile?  Now I think I see how that function works!  Thanks!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If I select “Use simulation profile as target”, and chose the sRGB profile, my monitor will be tested, uncalibrated, against the sRGB standard instead of my calibration profile?

Yes.

Michael
    Participant

Excellent.  Thank you!

Bela Pesics
    Participant

So the 1D LUT is also disabled in that case?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Yes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS