Verification says NOT OK. No RGB settings on LED LCD.

Home Forums Help and Support Verification says NOT OK. No RGB settings on LED LCD.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Brian
    Participant

I have a spyder 4 express and a Dynex DX-50D510NA15 (manual). It is a 50 inch LED LCD. I believe its WLED but not sure.

I tried the spyder bundled software and it was horrible, very yellowish settings. I saw on amazon that the recommended software is DisplayCAL, and the recommended settings were : http://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/870355/1#post17806610

Basically setting the profile to Single curve + matrix.

I set the Mode to LCD (White LED)

In the interactive window, I was confused if I should be setting the contrasts or the brightness or my LCD. I ended up reseting defaults on the LCD and setting the bright up by 2 notches (from 50 to 52 out of 100). It’s within 0.5% of the white point recommended. I actual have no control over the individual RGB settings. I run the calibration on high and I get the results. Things seem a little more bright than I expected.

I do a bunch of research and realized that Single curve + matrix is only a good profile if you have ability to get the RGB settings perfect on the interactive window. So instead I opt for the laptop preset because laptops normally dont have RGB sliders. For the profile I leave it as XYZ LUT + Matrix and I set the Mode to LCD (White LED) again.

I  keep the correction as “None” because none of the presets fit my understanding. I read I can get specific spyder 4 ones but not sure how to do that. I tried downloading some but none exist for my monitor.

I set the calibration speed to Low, the profile quality to  high and testchart to auto-optimized with the slider picking 1553 patches (~2 hours). I let it go while im at work. When its done I check out 48% gamma test here: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gamma_calibration.php and I notice that it seems like 1.6-1.7 is the right gamma even though I expect it to be 2.2. I then run two verification tests which I am attaching.

My “Measured vs. assumed target whitepoint ΔE*00” in both tests is about 5 and NOT OK – and in the SpyderChecker my average delta E is above 1 and I get NOT OK. So I believe its not properly calibrated.

Any suggestions on what went wrong? Should I set the white point myself? – My TV only has 3 temperatures – Cool, Normal, Warm. Cool seems to bluish and warm too yellowish. I assume Normal is daylight? I have a feeling if I had a TV which allowed me to set RGB I would have better luck, I heard you could use nvidia control panel but then I also heard that it wont work.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

In the interactive window, I was confused if I should be setting the contrasts or the brightness or my LCD.

On a TV, the brightness control if implemented correctly should affect (only) the black level, and there is only one correct setting (the one where levels just above black don’t clip), and most TVs seem to be setup reasonably in that regard from the factory, i.e. there may be no need to change the brightness control. Contrast on the other hand should affect the white level, and can be adjusted freely as desired (again, avoid clipping by setting contrast too high). This is different on computer monitors, where contrast should usually be left alone, and the backlight is usually controlled by the brightness control.

Basically setting the profile to Single curve + matrix.

I wouldn’t recommend that for a TV. For a matrix profile to be reasonably accurate, the display in question needs to be fairly linear and have good additivity. TVs with their internal processing often don’t fall in that category.

So instead I opt for the laptop preset because laptops normally dont have RGB sliders. For the profile I leave it as XYZ LUT + Matrix and I set the Mode to LCD (White LED) again.

Reasonable choice.

My “Measured vs. assumed target whitepoint ΔE*00” in both tests is about 5 and NOT OK

If you want the white to be corrected, you can set a calibration target, e.g. 6500K, although this will reduce contrast because blue will have to be lowered considerably, and it will also limit the gamut for the same reason.

and in the SpyderChecker my average delta E is above 1 and I get NOT OK

Depending on the gamut of the TV, some of the SpyderChecker colors may simply be out-of-gamut for the TV. There is nothing you can do about that.

I heard you could use nvidia control panel but then I also heard that it wont work.

It is best to leave the nVidia control panel alone in terms of color.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS