Verification after 3D LUT creation for Resolve

Home Forums Help and Support Verification after 3D LUT creation for Resolve

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author

saltarob
    Participant

Hi, I made further tests on my Mac Pro today.

The DisplayCAL verifications on the CX271 and FS2331 are good. See attachments.

But if I try to verify both screens with HCFR and Resolve I get not so good results. Unfortunately the memory colours (skin, foliage, sky)  are the one which have the biggest dE failure. See attachments.

I don’t understand this. Shouldn’t it be the same? Is there still a mistake in the settings? Or is Resolve putting out different colours?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

saltarob
    Participant

Hi Vincent,

how are you? Hope you are fine. Did you have any chance to look at my last posts? Any Ideas on this?

Thank you so much.

Vincent
    Participant

HCFR in “reference” configuration can track ideal powerlaw gamma or like displayCAL does simulate the lift in black due to limited contrast and overall gamma “bend” once you get close to display contrast limit.
    AVSForum has a thread about HCFR configuration and equivalent configurations in other tools.
    Any abnormal contrast drop points to video range vs full range missmacth.

Also use latest 2021_6 build from arthur lieberman (only if yu were nt doing it), links should be on AVS forum.

saltarob
    Participant

Thank you so much for your answer.

Also use latest 2021_6 build from arthur lieberman

https://github.com/arthur-liberman/hcfr-code/releases

I downloaded the lastest version from the link above: v3.5.4.2

AVSForum has a thread about HCFR configuration and equivalent configurations in other tools.

Sorry I can not find that thread. How can I figure out which one is the right configuration? It seems there is no documentation.

Thank you.

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

saltarob
    Participant

Thank you. Sorry I searched already hours in this forum without being able to find anything of what you mentioned…?

Vincent
    Participant

You are aiming to L*… that is your reference. I missed to see your attached screnshot. You can see L* tracking (reference) plotted in white dots in your PDF, it was user misconfiguration
    Aim for display gamma black compensated or rec1886 input 0%, i do not remember, there is an index in that thread with FAQ pointing to responses on that thread.

Lucia Dominguez
    Participant

If you made native gamut calibration on ColorNavigator of course it must be more saturated.

You would be making a wrong comparison: you should compare
    -a HW calibration (1D-LUT + matrix) simulating rec709 g2.4, then validate it with displaycal (no devicelink and no LUT3D)
    -a HW calibration (1D-LUT + matrix) at native gamut, then make LUT3D simulating Rec709 g2.4 with DisplayCAL (keep base white if you like it, “as measured”), then validate it with displaycal (devicelink or LUT3D)
    That will be an apples vs apples comparison.

Hi, I have an Eizo CG2420 (does not support 3dLUT) and I am trying to calibrate to Rec709-2.4. I did the CN7 Native, then Displaycal to Rec709-2.4 Resolve reference monitor workflow. If I verify with the 3DLut loaded in DisplayCal values are doble green check. But If I load the 3D LUT to Resolve and try to verify I am having same issues Saltarob had  in this thread. verification is way off specially on gamma. I am sure I am doing things wrong but I cannot understand where is the issue.

I have read this thread several time but I am still lost on how to do the “simple verification” that you are quoting before. I’d rather verificate my HW calibration first and ther verify with the 3DLUT

I am upolading Verification with 3DLUT in DC and Verification with 3DLUT loaded in resolve.

I have the colorchecker display plus and I am on mac. I will appreciate any help as this is a really complex subject that has many parameters in account, and I am quite new.

Thaks a lot in advance.

Attachments:

Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Gamma mapping is wrong. You have a low contrast display, hence Rec1886 does not behave as 2.4. Use the same settings (excluding device link since you are validating Resolve) as in the 1st test.

Lucia Dominguez
    Participant

OMG I was not able to see that the first parameter in gamma was different. Thank you very much for you reply Vincent. I will check when I have time again. This brings back hope!! 🙂

Lucia Dominguez
    Participant

Hi again,

I am unable to get an acceptable verification, not even with the 3d LUT generated in DisplayCal (device link). I have run several times into the zero division error (I have no idea why). So I have decrease the size of patches to 833 trying to save time and complete the whole workflow. But the verification of the LUT is giving me Deltas of +14.

Last week I could get to this point with no issue (3, see below), but now I can’t pass this point. Any clue?

I am also attaching log from yesterday.

Thanks in advace from your help.

Equipment: CG2420, ColorcheckerDisplayPlus, MaxOS Catalina

Workflow:

1) HWcalibrate CG2420 to Native & gamm 2.4 by CN

2) DIsplaycal via Resolve to profile and get a 3DLut to rec709 gamma2.4

3) Verification of LUT in Displaycal (device link)

4) Verification with the LUT installed in Resolve (no device link in Display Cal)

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

2.5) Verify if native gamut description of display obtanied by DisplayCAL (Custom ICC) matches the screen. (verify custom profile, no simulation)
    From report it seems that darker greens may have not measured properly while making custom ICC. That verification will show that.

If profile was not created properly you’ll had to repeat the process and save the logs, the send to developers. For example if error happens in colprof.exe yu’ll have to report that log to ArgyllCMS mailist

Lucia Dominguez
    Participant

Hi Vincent,

Thank you very much for the reply. I have been trying to figure out how to do what you are telling me here. But it is sounds like a quiz  and I am puzzle with the key words:

With “Custom ICC” do you mean the profile I have just created (what says settings on the DC screen)?  “Verify custom profile, no simulation” would mean this screen I am uploading as image? ( I don’t think so but I don’t see any other way to do so)

Thank you so much for your patience

Attachments:

Lucia Dominguez
    Participant

So the workflow seems to work.

To clarify, I reseted monitor to original state:

Equipment: CG2420, ColorcheckerDisplayPlus, MaxOS Catalina

Workflow:

1) HWcalibrate CG2420 to Native & gamm 2.4 by CN √√

2) DIsplaycal via Resolve to profile and get a 3DLut to rec709 gamma2.4 √√

“2.5) Verify if native gamut description of display obtanied by DisplayCAL (Custom ICC) matches the screen. (verify custom profile, no simulation)” √√

3) Verification of LUT in Displaycal (device link) √√

4) Verification with the LUT installed in Resolve (no device link in Display Cal) √√

The result I got with this settings (image attached) for 2.5 Step was very good double tick everywhere .  So I guess this was the correct settings for verifying that the native gamut description of display obtained by DC matches the screen. Could you confirm so, please?

Thank you so much for your time and  patience.

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Yes.

That 2.5 step is meant to be used to verify if because of unknown reasons the cutsom ICC profile (like a taylor made suit of monitor behavior witha 3D mesh if you choose XYZLUT profile) the recorded mesh do not match actual display behevior, hence further color transformation will have a wrong basis.
    It may happen because user touched OSD, because screensaves kicked in (not in a decklink, i’m giving a more general picture), some app glich…

An TI3 fie with display behavior (raw measurements) used for profile creation should be in the same folder where displaycal created the profile and may be a good starting point to get support in ArgyllCMS maillist for specific issues with certain displays, like the issues with OLED clipping near black with newer i1d3 models

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS