Variable results for 2017 27" iMac

Home Forums Help and Support Variable results for 2017 27" iMac

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Carlitos
    Participant

I’m using a Colormunki.  I’ve read differing accounts of what the best settings to use during calibration are for this display.  I’m attaching two different Measurement Reports.  In both cases Verification gave good results but the display looks dramatically different depending on which settings I use.  The whitepoint is visibly different.

1. The first is a correction I got from the community which specifies my specific display (mid 2017 27″ iMac) and calibration instrument (ColorMunki).  I noticed that the Mode: is Refresh (generic) which doesn’t seem like the setting.  The Measurement report comes back with good results but the display seems visibly cold with a magenta tint.

2. The second is a correction bundled with DisplayCal, Spectral: LCD PFS Phosphor WLED family.  The measurement report comes back with more or less equally good results and the whitepoint looks more neutral to my eye.

Which, if either of these, is the correct set of settings to use?  How can both come back with good results upon verification and still have visibly different white points?  Can I use the device/DisplayCal to simply assess the whitepoint of whichever correction is currently on the display without getting lost in the weeds?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Apples vs oranges, white point (strored in profile & measures) for each profile is different so if you set different targets you end with differents results even if you chose the same correction.

Anyway, older sRGB LED macs, should use generic WLED correction (without PFS surname) or some comunity WLED-like for mac (1 spike blue, 2 hills in green and red, use DisplayCAL CCSS spectral plot to see them, “(i)” button in CSSS combo box).
    Newer macs with P3 gamut should use MacBookProRetina2016.ccss bundled with DisplayCAL for i1d3 devices… or if you wish to use one bundled from Xrite “Panasonic VVX17P051J00.ccss” should be close. Also you can use community samples but they must look like WLED PFS when you plot spectra ( 1 spike blue, 1 mountain green, double spike in red… thats WLED PFS phosphor signature).

Summary & simple rule: use bundled corrections,
    sRGB LED : WLED
    P3 LED:  WLED PFS phosphor
    if you want to use 3rd party ccss, check spectral power distribution signature (“shape”, in 2D plot). They should look like “generic ones”/”bundled in Displaycal” counterparts

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Carlitos
    Participant

Newer macs with P3 gamut should use MacBookProRetina2016.ccss bundled with DisplayCAL for i1d3 devices

Ok, that’s good to know.  I saw that correction but used LCD PFS Phosphor WLED family because I assumed there was something unique to the Macbook screen that separated it.

Can I use my Colormunki/DisplayCal to make a quick, simple assessment of the white balance and luminance of whichever profile is currently being used by a display?  It seems like it would be useful to have a tool that acts like the Interactive Display Adjustment screen but evaluates how the display is currently calibrated.  Is there a different app with that sort of functionality?  The bundled ColorMunki software doesn’t seem to have that feature.

Carlitos
    Participant

Thanks again btw Vincent

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Can I use my Colormunki/DisplayCal to make a quick, simple assessment of the white balance and luminance of whichever profile is currently being used by a display?

Either use menu “Tools” -> “Report” -> “Report on calibrated display device” (if you’re really only interested in white) or run a measurement report (verification tab) with “<Current>” selected under settings.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS