Using Single Curve + Matrix, adjusting patches = changes profile

Home Forums Help and Support Using Single Curve + Matrix, adjusting patches = changes profile

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

benjamin
    Participant

Hi Florian,

I’ve opted to use a single curve + matrix to calibrate as each time I use the default xyz profile i see grayscale banding/discoloration – regardless if I aim for native gamma/whitepoint or not.

Why is it that when I select single curve + matrix as the profile type, it sets the amount of patches to only 34, and by increasing the patch amount by using the slider, the profile changes itself to xyz + lut.

I left the testchart at default – Auto-optimized.  I noticed changing this setting can yield more patches.

I thought using more patches = more accurate calibration until you reach the the point of diminishing returns, but why only 34 for optimized?

Thanks in advance

• This topic was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by benjamin.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

by increasing the patch amount by using the slider, the profile changes itself to xyz + lut.

Change the patch amount first, then choose the profile type. The slider is coupled to profile type because it automatically chooses the best type of profile for any given amount of patches.

I thought using more patches = more accurate calibration until you reach the the point of diminishing returns, but why only 34 for optimized?

Not sure I understand the question. 34 patches is the minimal amount I settled on for a usable (matrix) profile.

benjamin
    Participant

Hi,

by increasing the patch amount by using the slider, the profile changes itself to xyz + lut.

Change the patch amount first, then choose the profile type. The slider is coupled to profile type because it automatically chooses the best type of profile for any given amount of patches.

Not sure I understand the question. 34 patches is the minimal amount I settled on for a usable (matrix) profile.

Heya Florian,

By default, using single curve + matrix, auto-optimized chooses defaults to 34 patches.

I did what you said, and increased the patch amount, before selecting the profile, and this is what happened :

If the gif fails to load please use http://recordit.co/B0Lky3K0rq

Thanks again for your time.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by benjamin.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I did what you said, and increased the patch amount, before selecting the profile, and this is what happened :

Right, I changed the default a while ago. If you really want to use more patches for a matrix profile, you can use one of the pre-baked testcharts, but using more than a few dozen patches is usually only going to give diminishing returns.

benjamin
    Participant

I’m happy with the result,  i was just worried that I was creating a profile with not enough patches but you’ve put my mind at ease.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

S Simeonov
    Participant

I’m happy with the result,  i was just worried that I was creating a profile with not enough patches but you’ve put my mind at ease.

You used the default 34 patches, right?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS