Using DisplayCal for monitor testing

Home Forums Help and Support Using DisplayCal for monitor testing

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Halfwit
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I went through a ton of posts but didn’t find an answer to my question. I’m equipped with the Spyder5 and it is my intent to test the uncalibrated color performance of various monitors at my disposal (20+ of them). From what I’ve gathered from a couple of older threads/posts, I’m supposed to use the “Verification” tab of the DisplayCal. Here’s how I set it up:

However, after I run a “Measurement Report”, it would appear that my monitor is compared to a monitor that was set up at 80 cd/m2 (“Display profile luminance” in the “Basic Information” category).

What am I missing or doing wrong? What would be the correct way to test the color performance of an uncalibrated monitor?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

However, after I run a “Measurement Report”, it would appear that my monitor is compared to a monitor that was set up at 80 cd/m2 (“Display profile luminance” in the “Basic Information” category).

doesn’t really matter, because the white level is normalized for comparison (as can be seen in the overview, L*=100).

Halfwit
    Participant

Hi,

doesn’t really matter, because the white level is normalized for comparison (as can be seen in the overview, L*=100).

Hi Florian. Quite a honor to get a reply from the man himself! 🙂

Thanks for clarifying that, I didn’t know that it doesn’t matter at which brightness I conduct my tests! Does that mean that I’m doing everything right, if you look at the screenshot of my settings? I can take the results produced by using the methodology described in my original post as accurate?

Thanks again, you’re the man!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi Florian. Quite a honor to get a reply from the man himself! 🙂

These are the official forums. You can expect to get a reply from me here 🙂

Does that mean that I’m doing everything right, if you look at the screenshot of my settings? I can take the results produced by using the methodology described in my original post as accurate?

Yes, although comparing the native response of a wide-gamut display like the ED323QUR to sRGB doesn’t seem particularly useful, since it’s gamut is supposed to be wider than sRGB by design (and a positive criteria for people who look into buying a monitor like this). For these types of tests, a better approach would be to only compare standard gamut displays to sRGB (or maybe Rec. 709 with a gamma of 2.2), and for wide-gamut displays, check whether the display is designed to cover one of the two major common wide gamut color spaces, AdobeRGB and DCI-P3, and use the respective one for testing (and even then, wider gamut than either of them is a positive criteria, these screens are meant to be used in a color managed environment).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS