Use old profile loader

Home Forums Help and Support Use old profile loader

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Wallboy
    Participant

I updated my displaycal recently and noticed the profile loader is now always active. I much preferred the older version where it only ran when Windows first boots to load the profile and then immediately exited.

How do I get it back to this way?

Thanks.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I much preferred the older version where it only ran when Windows first boots to load the profile and then immediately exited.

Why?

Wallboy
    Participant

I use displayCal on some older rigs where memory and CPU aren’t as abundant as the new machines today, so the constant polling of this new loader for a few % of CPU and the 35MB RAM hit is noticeable when I’m already nearing memory and CPU limits with processes that really do need it.

I have a co-worker that also uses displayCal and asked him if he was using the latest version of the software and he said he went back to a version prior to 3.1 for the same reasons of not liking how the new profiler stays open and running.

For now what I did was download the zip of the version just prior to 3.1 and copied the apply profiles executable to the program path and rename it from displayGUI to displayCal and just renamed the 3.1 version to .bak in case it didn’t work. I rebooted and it seems to work fine this way. Let me know if this will cause any problems. If so I’ll end up doing what my friend did and just revert to the older version of the software itself or use Windows native profile loading and skip displayCal’s profile loader all together.

Really do like the newer interface of 3.1, but that new profiler needs an option of not always running.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

the constant polling of this new loader for a few % of CPU and the 35MB RAM hit is noticeable when I’m already nearing memory and CPU limits with processes that really do need it.

My main development machine is seven years old now, and the CPU usage hardly goes over 0.04% (there’s a 1% spike every three seconds because that is the interval at which the VCGT is re-applied – it has no perceivable effect on the machine’s overall performance even under high load though. Explorer.exe is taking up more in terms of CPU).

I rebooted and it seems to work fine this way. Let me know if this will cause any problems.

Not sure because I never tried it.

but that new profiler needs an option of not always running.

That wouldn’t be useful to a lot of people, and yet another option they (and I) would have to deal with.

Wallboy
    Participant

I started getting some error logs for the profile loader after having more than 1 monitor calibrated. I just went back to version 3.0.6.3 and all is working fine now with the old profile loader.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’ve changed the DisplayCAL 3.1.3 Profile Loader so that if you run it with the --oneshot argument it behaves like the old loader (exits after launching). You have to edit the shortcut in the Windows Start menu under “Startup” and add the argument manually.

Wallboy
    Participant

About to dual boot Win 10 and was copying my profiles and noticed you had added this argument to the new versions. Very much appreciated. Will be using the latest version now 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS