Understanding how to best calibrate Dell UP3216Q

Home Forums General Discussion Understanding how to best calibrate Dell UP3216Q

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Zivo
    Participant

Hi All

So I used to be more pro on the calibration when I had my first dell with i1disply 2 and my old monitor which was PVA Dell

Now I bought the ColorMonkey and Dell IPS UP3216Q and Nvidia Quadro P600
    the colormonky software is really bad cant do much with it, also I miss my lower darks and higer contrast of my old monitor

thats how I found a about DisplayCal and got confused
    I would really like to get some guidness on the best way to achive calibration to my monitor.

1. I want to change the white temp but when I do my mouse still keep the native white temp
    2. videos look too dark and I need to fix it through NVIDIA what makes the video look different in the edit software and in the player
    3. getting deeper black with higher contrast
    4. specific settings to max the Dell UP3216Q accuracy
    5. Any other tip and tricks to get the best results

Thank you all you are doing an amazing work with this open source project

Vincent
    Participant

1-IDNK

2-Use color managed video player & editor, UP3216Q is a widegamut monitor.
    As alternatives:
    -use sRGB/Rec709 preset + DisplayCAL gamma & white correction
    -or buy an i1DisplayPro and use DUCCS software to calibrate internally CAL1/CAL2 to Rec709 and your desired gamma
    -or learn C++ an try to build a plugin for DisplayCAL/ArgyllCMS that converts ArgyllCMS’ profile + 1D calibration to a Lut-matrix-Lut structure and upload that calibration to monitor with Dell SDK.

Color managed editor or sRGB/Rec709 + DisplayCAL calibration are the easiest ones with no cost for you.

3- 1000:1 native, maybe 1300:1 if it is one of the new with some WLED widegamut PFS variant… it is what it is. With 100cd/m2 @ D65 white, black output should be lower than in a 140cd/m2 white setup. Play with it.

4- UP3216Q looks like W-LED widegamut PFS variant:
    https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/hash/a683864da1be1edab6cfb15e9123691a/Dell%2C%20DELL%20UP3216Q_181002.ccss
    so use that correction I linked.

5- Although DUCCS calibration software from Dell has a lot of flaws it maybe worth of buying an i1DisplayPro if you need to work in enviremments without color management. Most of DUCCS flaws can be corrected with DisplayCAL and a Quadro should not cause banding by GPU calibration.
    Do all this stuff with your Colormunki Display… then re-evaluate if you need HW calibration with an i1DisplayPro.

I assumed that you meant “ColorMonkey”=”Colormunki Display”… if you own a Colormunki Smile (lesser colorimeter) or Colormunki spectro of something like that it may be woth considering to buy an i1DisplayPro right now.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Zivo
    Participant

Thank you

Regarding #4

I think that if do a calibration through your GPU you can control the white point
    it doesn’t make sense that choosing a white point other than the native white point wont effect the cursor white point

any ideas?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS