Unable to emulate iPhone 6s on CG245W using DisplayCAL's web @ localhost

Home Forums Help and Support Unable to emulate iPhone 6s on CG245W using DisplayCAL's web @ localhost

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Eric
    Participant

Hello Florian,

I’m trying to emulate an iPhone 6s display on an EIZO ColorEdge CG245W.

I found out that EIZO’s ColorNavigator conveniently accepts ICC profiles as emulation target. Trying out some standard ICC profiles bundled with Windows (ex. sRGB IEC61966-2.1 or sRGB Color Space Profile.icm) it appears that ColorNavigator simply extracts the target parameters such as luminance level (in cd/m^2), whitepoint (in xy coordinates), RGB primaries/gamut (in xy coordinates) and gamma/TRC (in LUT form) and uses them for hardware calibration.

So I proceeded to profile the iPhone 6s using DisplayCAL (configured to output patches on Web @ localhost) and afterwards loaded the generated ICC profile into ColorNavigator as emulation target. The calibration was successful in that the targets were closely achieved.

Since the monitor is now natively emulating the iPhone 6s (and I want to exclusively use this screen as a “soft proof” for the phone), I replaced the current active ICC profile in Windows Color Management (which was generated and registered by ColorNavigator) with sRGB IEC61966-2.1. This way, photos in Photoshop won’t be color-managed and will appear as they would on the iPhone.

Unfortunately, upon checking and comparing photos displayed side-by-side (one on the iPhone and the other on the CG245W), the CG245W would always be rosier (additional red/magenta). Trying other colorimeter correction files while characterizing the iPhone 6s display didn’t result in any noticeable improvement.

Is there anything that I’m doing wrong? Could it be simply a matter of imperfect colorimeter correction files? What experiments can I do to help debug this problem?

Thanks

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

have a look at the FAQ.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS