Two different monitors look much different after calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Two different monitors look much different after calibration

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Morgy
    Participant

Hello,

I am very new to this, I just bought the SpyderX and their software is pure garbage.
    Then I discovered DisplayCAL and I like it much better.

However, I tried to calibrate a Dell U2412M and Samsung S24C350 and the calibration ran fine, but after it they both look much different.

How am I able to match these monitors?

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Since 2 displays may have slightly different color coordinates in RGB primaries, a match wil be limited to:
    -limited to color managed apps (and the precison of that app engine in your HW)
    -limited to colors that fall into the intersection of your 2 displays colorspace

Rememember to use WLED correction for colorimeter (WLED sRGB or LED standard or whatever name it has for SpyderX, do not se wide LED or widegamut LED) .
    If displays do not mach after you modify RGB gains in your monitor OSD to get to your calibration target, use visual whitepoint editor ( = visual match).

If they do not match given the two limitations I wrote, even applying visual match for whitepoint ,you may need a better measurement device.

Wire
    Participant

In what way do they look different?

White is different or overall color casts?

Gray cast?

Tonality varies?

Banding or clipping?

More / less contrast or saturation?

Are you profiling them as dual screen, or on different computers, or one after the other on same computer?

Are you comfortable with the use of settings in DisplayCal? Do you understand how settings get reused? Do you understand how to set whitepoint in the display itself using the measurement tool? Are you asking DisplayCal to set the whitepoint or using as measured?

This may seem dumb, but are you sure you are specifying the same alignment for both?

As I’ve been learning how to use DisplayCal, I have been tripped up by permutations of ways to choose config. The UI is quite intelligent, but as there are so many interacting configuration options, if you are unfamiliar or not paying careful attention it’s quite possible to use it in error.

How much of a difference are you seeing? I have found that displays have enough local variance in color across the face that (assuming you have good color vision) you can get apparent difference in calibration from profiling wit the puck just a inch or so in a different position on the screen. This can make side-by-side displays of gray differ noticeably.  You can use the measurement tool and move the puck on the face of the display and see the variation in its measurements.

Morgy
    Participant

Well, basically I just used default (gamma 2.2) to both displays one after the other on the same computer.
    I got the rgb values all in one line and white level pretty close to 200 cd/m²

I know that there are many good reasons why my attached files doesn’t make much sense, but maybe you can spot some difference.
    The left monitor has more “yellow white” and the right one more “blue white”. The dark level is much higher on the right one as well.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Morgy
    Participant

I have no clue what I’ve done wrong the 500 times before, but the two displays now match pretty good <3

The right one had too much blue, the left one was okay already.
    Just not sure why it suddenly said that the right one is not correct and all the times before it was just fine.

Anyway, I think that’s good for now, even though I’ll keep playing with the settings out of curiosity in the future.

Thanks a lot!

Wire
    Participant

I see what you are getting at.

Getting the three color bars in line using the measurement tool is not quite enough, you need to target a specific whitepoint. The three bars being equal puts you somewhere on the Kelvin temperature curve, but the question is where on the curve?  You chose this by the whitepoint setting. IIRC If you chose “as measured” then you are guided to the closest whitepoint. So if you want a specific whitepoint, say 6500K, choose that in settings and you will see on the measurement tool it guides you to that choice in the details under the three calibration bars. When targetting as-measured it the tool shows XY chromaticity coordinates which you prolly just ignored because they’re meaningless to you.

A previous response to you question suggested using the visual calibrator to get a match, but I don’t see how this can help you as you’ve got the puck for both displays and if you can’t trust it for either, how can you for the other? 😉 I’ve found once I got familiar with distinction between equal bars and target whitepoint, I get consistent results across various units, as you should expect.

Maybe one of the experts will clarify about this. I think it’s tricky for new users to grok the interplay between whitepoint selection and measurement tool.

As to blacks / contrast variation between your devices, there’s another settings pitfall for new users: DCal tends to want to reuse settings once you make a profile, so if you tried it before you knew what some selections do, esp gamma, then you can be pulled back to the original choice when settings get auto-loaded. When doing multiple displays there’s interplay between choosing a device and recalled / changed settings, which can lead to errors. So get your setting choices nailed down then reprofile using extra care to ensure your choices apply to each device.

Also, visit the OS settings once done to ensure that your custom profiles are in force. My mac will spontaneously change display profiles sometimes for reasons I don’t understand.

If contrast continues to vary a lot, there’s something really tricky going on

Florian Höch
    Administrator

A previous response to you question suggested using the visual calibrator to get a match, but I don’t see how this can help you as you’ve got the puck for both displays and if you can’t trust it for either, how can you for the other?

That’s explained in the FAQ.

If contrast continues to vary a lot, there’s something really tricky going on

If you want calibration to equalize contrast, you need to set the same white and black level targets on both displays (and both need to be able to actually pull it off).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS