TV color correction? QLED?

Home Forums General Discussion TV color correction? QLED?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

CrazyTachikoma
    Participant

Sorry for another TV question, I’ve read as many posts I could so just trying to get some input please before I spend money.

Goal: basic color / white balance / gamma calibration for my TVs and monitors. They are all LCD LED VA panels, but 1 TV is a TCL QLED as well if that matters. I just consume content, not a creator. HDR calibration would be nice to have, but not a must.

All my TVs/monitors are connected to PCs, so ICC profiles work.

Getting the Spyder X Pro, planning to use DisplayCal.

Any suggestions or am I in the right track? For DisplayCal, what color correction should I use? I’ve seen white LED and others being recommended.

Thanks

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

CrazyTachikoma
    Participant

oh we can edit posts? another option is the CALIBRITE DISPLAY SL

Max05
    Participant

I recommend one of the probes from calibrite because they support ccss corrections. The Spyder does not I believe. As for which correction to choose, I recommend clicking the globe icon and if you are lucky you might find that someone has uploaded one for the specific model of your monitor/TV.

As for the actual usage of the calibration, If you say that this is mainly for consuming content, I am guessing you mean stuff like youtube and streaming. I suggest creating a 3d lut and using DWM_LUT or novideo_srgb if you are on windows instead of loading the profile with Displaycal because windows is not color managed, meaning you won’t get any actual color correction only with an icc profile. Just make sure not to load both.

An alternative is using MadVR if you are watching mkvs through a video player.

About HDR, I know that DWM_LUT can take HDR 3D Luts, can be used to better tone map but if you are really into HDR I recommend checking out MadVR anyways.

Vincent
    Participant

Yes, better an i1d3 than a Spyder. Anyway if you cannot return it, “widegamut led” (or something like that in “mode”) will be the closest one.

Also for using the TV not plugged to computers, use HCFR (“calman GNU”) to fix white, gray calance and sRGB/Rec709 primaries using TV’s internal CMS, but in a manual way.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS