Trouble calibrating Panasonic AX200

Home Forums Help and Support Trouble calibrating Panasonic AX200

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

tony359 SourceForge

Hi, me again.

I decided to re-calibrate my awful projector tonight. I’ve recently updated to Windows 10 and also wanted to recalibrate using the latest Argyll and DispcalGUI.

It is a poor setup, I know. White room, projecting on a wall and the black level is poor. That said I obtained impressive results before. When I checked the calibration a month ago it was not too bad.

Anyway, I ran an accurate calibration, the slowest possible and with about 900 patterns for profiling (auto selected).

Immediately after that I ran a verification, it was awful, with delta up to 10.

Thought something was wrong with the setup, maybe I did not wait enough for the lamp to warm up. Watched something then I was curious and run a quick calibration/profiling. The fastest calibration (down to delta=1.5) and just a bunch of patterns.

Run verification and same result.

http://www.cinematech.it/MyLinks/dispcalgui.htm

What am I doing wrong? When running a verification I do not check “simulation profile”, am I correct?

Also, this is the calibration curved of the first, accurate attempt. The second, quick, attempt produced a very smooth correction.

View post on imgur.com

Something I noticed is that when I use my secondary monitor DispcalGUI usually puts the patterns generator on the selected monitor. With the projector, it put it on the primary, I have to move it. And the controls usually end up below it, so I have to play with the tabs on windows taskbar to have it moved back to the main monitor.

Here’s the folder with all the files:

http://www.cinematech.it/MyLinks/AX-200.rar

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Antonio

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Enable white level drift compensation.

tony359 SourceForge

Thanks, I will.

Why would white drift on a TFT projector though? I disable the iris when calibrating (which, unfortunately, changes slightly the colours as well… but I verify with the same setup though).

Thanks
    Tony

tony359 SourceForge

Hi,

It did not work. Same – actually worse – result.

View post on imgur.com

any chance I am doing something basically wrong in setting up the system?

I do not move the color meter between calibration and verification. Iris is disabled. I have calibrated this projector in the past with good results. The lamp had been on for 60 minutes this time before I run a calibration.

The only difference I can think of is that this time I’m using an instrument profile. I’ll try disabling it, but if it was bad or corrupted I would expect a bad visible result, not a bad verification.

Edit: tried with no instrument profile, same result.

Thanks
    Antonio

• This reply was modified on 2015-08-09 22:10:32 by tony359.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The lamp had been on for 60 minutes this time before I run a calibration.

Ok, from what I know this should be more than enough warm-up time.

It did not work. Same – actually worse – result.

Is this verification from a matrix or LUT profile? The matrix profile you attached earlier was relatively smooth but not very accurate due to the display not behaving linearly, so a LUT profile is possibly required to get any semblance of good results.

The only difference I can think of is that this time I’m using an instrument profile. I’ll try disabling it, but if it was bad or corrupted I would expect a bad visible result, not a bad verification.

Yes that seems unlikely, still worth to try and rule it out as a potential factor.

• This reply was modified on 2015-08-09 22:03:54 by fhoech.

tony359 SourceForge

Uhm… reinstalling the new version I did not enable the advanced controls. So I run the calibration using the default settings which appear to be “single curve + matrix”. That may explain why I was getting the expected greyscale but the wrong colours.

Shall I select “XYZ lut + matrix” instead?

I should probably take some notes for next time!! 🙂

And BTW, with no instrument correction the result was the same.

I’ll try again, I guess I’ll have to re-do all my profiles now!!

Thanks for your help, as usual.
    Tony

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Go to the “Profiling” tab, set testchart to “Auto” and set the slider to one step after the first from left (which should result in roughly 400 patches and XYZ LUT profile type).

tony359 SourceForge

I see what happens now. So my monitors should be fine (I’ll open another thread about the colour balance not being the same though).

Regarding the projector, I am pretty confident I did the first calibration (the one with jaggied bottom) using about 800 patterns, so it should have been LUT. But I must say that I did not wait 60 minutes for that one.

Anyway, I’ll try again a quick calibration – in LUT mode – and see what happens.

I’ll also browse our old chats to make sure I select what it’s needed.

I see 3.0.4.0 is out, thanks for keeping developing this beauty!

Tony

tony359 SourceForge

Hi Florian,

I gave it another go tonight.

I haven’t evaluated the results too much yet. I’m concerned on the bottom of the tone curve.
    Only thing, I believe teamviewer disconnected during the calibration and that restored the windows background picture. It’s a projector in a (sigh) white room so that may have affected the results.

What is your opinion please?

Thanks

• This reply was modified on 2015-08-21 23:21:18 by tony359.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I haven’t evaluated the results too much yet. I’m concerned on the bottom of the tone curve.

Looks oddly bumpy.

Only thing, I believe teamviewer disconnected during the calibration and that restored the windows background picture. It’s a projector in a (sigh) white room so that may have affected the results.

That could well be the case.

tony359 SourceForge

Hi Florian,

I followed your advice. I have just done a madVR 3dlut file. This time I set the calibration to the slow profile, not the very slow one – the one before the slowest, 0.6 Delta instead of 0.4. I thought that my setup is not worth. Full screen, so no interferences this time!

Results attached. The tone calibration curve is still bumpy but the issues at the bottom has gone.

That said, I had a peek during the final 0.6 calibration. I noticed the software was trying to correct the darkest part of the greyscale, but I could not see patterns on screen. MadVR was set full screen but the active pattern area was not 100% so I would have expected to see a very dim pattern in the middle of the screen, not nothing. It seemed to me the generator was generating levels which were below the black level of the projector. But I was using Rec.1886, that should not happen, should it?

What do you think? Final result seems excellent to my eyes though.

Question: I had ‘saturation:10’ in madVR settings for that screen. When calibrating/profiling via MadVR TPG would that setting be overridden to zero?

Thanks
    Tony

• This reply was modified on 2015-08-29 23:38:36 by tony359.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS