Tone curve and black point correction question

Home Forums General Discussion Tone curve and black point correction question

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

rexc
    Participant

Hello,

I’ve tried learning all I can about calibrating monitors, but I’m still quite hazy on tone curve settings.
    After watching “Joel Silver presentation on gamma at ISE 2015” on Youtube, I finally know what the gamma setting is for, but I don’t know how it relates to my monitor.

I have a Dell U2414M, LCD IPS Display (came out in 2011) with a contrast ratio of 940 ~ 960:1 (I can’t remember the exact number but surprisingly close to the advertised 1000:1! YAY!)

What should I do with only gamma options (namely, “PC” and “Mac”)?
    I know the reason behind it.. it’s just unfortunate to have no other gamma settings to choose from…

Anyway, DisplayCal shows a range of tone-curve and gamma options, but is my monitor even capable of producing a specific tone curve in combination with a gamma I choose? If the resulting calibrated tone-curve looks straight enough, does it mean that my monitor can handle the calibration setting for the most part?

I know the image will still look “wrong” on uncalibrated monitors, but I’d like to calibrate to an appropriate standard.

I need help with the following settings:

Tone Curve:
    Supposedly BT. 1886 is used in the ITU’s recommendation made for modern displays. I’d like to use it, but I don’t know whether this is the right choice for my monitor.

There are a bunch of tone curve options (sRGB, L*, Rec 709 etc.) I don’t know what they are appropriate for. I know if I’m asking then I probably don’t need them, but I’d really appreciate anyone who educates me on those.

I heard that Rec 709 is for HDTV, but I don’t know if that’s suitable for my use either. I don’t know if HDTV back then is close to white LED monitors.

Black output offset:
    I read the guide, but I don’t understand the implications, and what visual effect this setting actually has. I need some help understanding this.
    0% complies with BT. 1886, but I don’t know if 0% is best for my monitor if isn’t good enough.

Black point correction – Probably should set it to auto? I don’t know what contrast ratio amounts to “good.”

A sincere thank you for helping.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

What should I do with only gamma options (namely, “PC” and “Mac”)?

Likely “PC” is “2.2” and “Mac” is “1.8” (Macs do not use a 1.8 gamma since decades though, so the naming is odd to say the least). Anyway, the gamma setting on the monitor itself doesn’t really matter much (although the less correction is needed, the less artifacts, like banding, may result).

Tone Curve

Black output offset

Black point correction

The default settings are fine.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS