TN panel has more saturation/contrast than IPS panel after calibration?

Home Forums Help and Support TN panel has more saturation/contrast than IPS panel after calibration?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

AaronC
    Participant

As the title says. I’m very new when it comes to Displaycal and colorimeters (I just purchased an i1display pro today, I’m a hobby artist/photographer).

For the most part the calibration went smoothly on both monitors, and if you’d like I could export the profiles or any tests from both.

It’d seem that my IPS panel, though, has less saturation (and contrast?) than the TN panel and I’m trying to understand why that is. I have no experience when it comes to reading any of the technical results from the color profiles so I don’t think I can personally extract much info from that. Ideally I’d like the monitors to be close to each other as they can, though obviously won’t be perfect because they’re different models and panels.

Is it because the contrast ratio is lower on my TN panel, and so it can’t display as nuanced of color contrast as the IPS panel? Is my IPS monitor somehow worse? Is it just differences in colors from being different models?

I’d love to hear any feedback or thoughts, and thanks in advance!

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Short explanation:

-panel gives you bits (gradation step), viewing angles and contrast at its native white

-backlight type (for panels that use backlight) gives you colorspace.

That means that you can get a 1000:1 IPS panel that has 60% sRGB coverage (unfortunately it’s happening in some laptops) and such panel can have a extremely cold cyan-blue white point. Using display OSD gains (desktop monitors) or GPU(laptops) to calibrate to D65, or D60, or D55 or D50 you may end with an after calibration 600:1 contrast ratio.

In the same way you can imagine a WLED PFS P3 backlight applied to a TN gaming panel with a native white extremely close to daylight 6700K so when you calibrate you loose a tiny amount of contrast.

Of course you may have selected wrong options in DisplayCAL, or modify OSD gain/offset/brightness/contrast in a wrong way while you were fixing white point, so there may be a way yo get better results. IDNK what you did.

AaronC
    Participant

Yeah, after doing a measurement the contrast for my IPS seems startlingly low (at ~640:1), when tftcentral was reporting calibrating contrasts to be around ~1200:1 at 120 cd/m2 white level. I’d like to think it’s some kind of calibration error on my part and not my monitor, but it might be wishful thinking.

I’m attaching my first profile’s measurement report just for the sake of it, as well as a url to the tftcentral results for my IPS monitor.

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_mg279q.htm#optimum_osd

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Calibration tone values are > 95% so it is not a GPU calibration issue. Maybe you modified OSD values too much, IDNK.
    Make an uncalibrated console report on other OSD modes to check if that contrast artio remains the same value (so you can discard “user” error when you modified RGB gains.

Also check that you are not running it with HDMI 16-235 levels. If you are using HDMI input try to measure contrast with bundled  DisplayPort > Mini DP cable on mdp input.

P.S: You should have applied a CCSS correction to your calibration & verification. It’s a common sRGB WLED display (gaming flavor, but common WLED). Use bundled WLED or some community CCSS for that MG279.
    It wont get you the missing contrast, but white point measurements are going to change once your i1d3 is corrected to that backlight

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Vincent.

AaronC
    Participant

Thank you so much for the advice! After using a colorimeter correction, it turns out my OSD RGB was way off. I was able to get them almost all even and lower my brightness, and now my contrast is reading close to 1100:1 (which is still a little less than what tftcentral squeezed out, but I might be able to get a little more with some additional setting changes or a different correction profiles).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS