Time for calibration and profiling

Home Forums General Discussion Time for calibration and profiling

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, I would like to ask another question today to get a little doubt off my chest. Until now, following what the software said, I always set a low calibration time and a time for profiling of 6 hours and 30 minutes. This is because the program says that the larger the amount of patches the more accurate the results, is this really true? Also, am I right to set this time or is it too much and I risk actually having some problems during calibration? What would be the ideal time frame to set?

Vincent
    Participant

-calibration fix grey, that’s all. If you display have a grey ramp than in non color managed software have severe color tints you want slower speed.
    -profilling makes a taylor made suit for the calibrated display (with grey calibration loaded)

If display is well behaved after calibration (validation), get a good grey (medium or slow) and a simple curve + matrix + BPC. This will minimize some rounding errors and color tints in greys for color managed apps (caused by rounding errors made by software with low precision, for example Illustrator & Indesign or non 10bit photoshop).

If your target is not general prupose ICC color managed apps but to make a LUT3D or image editing with a bad behaved display (after calibration) get an accurate XYZLUT profile (but you may get color tint in greys in Illustratior & other apps). Patches? whatever you want. At least ~400 for a XZYLUT seems reasonable since you’ll get a cube with 7-8 points per edge. For a 17 point on each cube edge made from actual measurements you’ll need about 4000-5000 patches. Cubic.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Vincent.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS