Support for DICOM GSDF

Home Forums General Discussion Support for DICOM GSDF

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Jonathan
    Participant

Any plans to support calibration to DICOM GSDF – that would be great. Or does anyone know a method?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

DICOM support is planned for Argyll CMS I think, although I don’t know if and when that’ll happen. The Argyll CMS mailing list is probably a good place to ask about it.
    There’s also (limited) support for DICOM in DisplayCAL, i.e. you can create synthetic profiles with DICOM transfer curve if you know your display’s white and black level. Such a profile can then be assigned to DICOM material and should give the correct appearance in color managed applications if the display is appropriately profiled as well.

Jonathan
    Participant

Thanks, that requires each dicom file (thousands) to have that profile embedded?

I found one program that uses Spotread from Argyll cms, but it doesn’t work on Windows 10. It is: http://pacsdisplay.org/ and is open source. Could DisplayCal replace this someday? And even do better by adding support for 1024 greyscales!? (At work our DICOM files are displayed on 10 bit systems, from graphics card, application, to monitor, so 256 greyscales is a bit of a downgrade!)

I suspect if I had more brain I could do it all from the command line with Argyll and Spotread, and then use the bits of Pacsdisplay that do work on Windows 10, but that is beyond me, so I thought I try and ask to see if DisplayCal could do it.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thanks, that requires each dicom file (thousands) to have that profile embedded?

Not necessarily, depending if your image viewer allows to set a default profile to be used for files with no embedded profile.

Could DisplayCal replace this someday?

Sure, after DICOM has been added to Argyll CMS.

And even do better by adding support for 1024 greyscales!?

The amount of grayscale levels is only limited by the graphics subsystem (graphics card / driver / application).

Jonathan
    Participant

Thanks, it is shame the PACS (essentially the image viewer) doesn’t cater for profiles. I have asked on the Argyll mailing list.

pacscal
    Participant

The PacsDisplay program is actually made by physicists  are on the AAPM committee that make recommendations about radiology display compliance, including DICOM. Do a search on Michael Flynn and Nicholas Bevins. The PACS display program actually takes 1786 measurements which can take about half an hour. It also does compliance testing. I think it is great for a free program. The only caveat is you have to buy a XRite i1Display Pro sensor which used to be about $230 with tax but now is about $260 without tax. I have 3 megapixel radiology monitors and have used this as a secondary QA to verify DICOM compliance. I used it to calibrate a nonradiology HDR600 monitor and it seemed to work fine for looking at CT, but I decided it was better to get radiology monitors to avoid liability.

If Argyll and DisplayCAL add DICOM support and compliance testing, that would be great. Once in a while, the PacsDisplay program has errors when I run it and I cannot figure out why. I have to uninstall and reinstall the i1Profiler from XRite and then reattach the i1Display Pro for it to work. I am not sure if it is a driver issue or something else, but this seems to fix it.

If you need DICOM and are not doing medical diagnostic work, I think it works well.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

DICOM.GDSF
    Participant

I think it is great for a free program. The only caveat is you have to buy a XRite i1Display Pro sensor which used to be about $230 with tax but now is about $260 without tax.

If Argyll and DisplayCAL add DICOM support and compliance testing, that would be great. Once in a while, the PacsDisplay program has errors when I run it and I cannot figure out why. I have to uninstall and reinstall the i1Profiler from XRite and then reattach the i1Display Pro for it to work. I am not sure if it is a driver issue or something else, but this seems to fix it.

If you need DICOM and are not doing medical diagnostic work, I think it works well.

Too bad pacsDisplay does not work with a Spyder 5 colorimeter and all of the other programs that could calibrate to DICOM cost a lot (like even 700 euros).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS