Start to Finish Guidance – Dell 7590 OLED and Colormunki Smile

Home Forums Help and Support Start to Finish Guidance – Dell 7590 OLED and Colormunki Smile

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

IdiotSandwich
    Participant

I have a Dell XPS 15 7590 OLED laptop and a Colormunki Smile and I simply do not understand what I’m supposed to be selecting or doing to successfully calibrate my monitor. I tried tutorials, FAQ, and searching the forum but the starting point on everything was over my head. I’m a self-taught photographer reaching my limits here. Can some kind soul please walk me through it? I need the most simplified explanation possible, thanks!! I’ve attached what I’ve done but I don’t know what it means. Am I close to getting it right?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

1- Measurement device is not suited for that an OLED (supposted to be RGB OLED flavor), hence there may be some visual errors between measurements and what it should look like. For example white.

2-there is something terribly wrong if an OLED display reports 225:1 contrast. Measurement device may be a partial cause but user error/misconfiguration can play a role too. This second one seems the most probable.

3-What report says is that display behavior just after calibration (in profiling stage) does not match current behavior (when you made that report). This can go from automatic dimming (report says that brightness has changed since profiling)  to user misconfiguration like change in display mode or something in control panel / Dell own apps for that display laptop.

Try to figure what you did after you made DisplayCAL calibration & profile, because something changed.

IdiotSandwich
    Participant

Thank you so much for looking at my report! A few clarifying questions on your response if you don’t mind.

1- Measurement device is not suited for that an OLED (supposted to be RGB OLED flavor), hence there may be some visual errors between measurements and what it should look like. For example white.

What measurement device should I use for an OLED display? I still have 30 days to return the Colormunki Smile and will do that asap.

2-there is something terribly wrong if an OLED display reports 225:1 contrast. Measurement device may be a partial cause but user error/misconfiguration can play a role too. This second one seems the most probable.

I appreciate the call out. I just googled it and it says my laptop should be 100,000:1. Today is my last day to be able to return the laptop if you think this is defective. I really don’t know what to do to fix it.

3-What report says is that display behavior just after calibration (in profiling stage) does not match current behavior (when you made that report). This can go from automatic dimming (report says that brightness has changed since profiling)  to user misconfiguration like change in display mode or something in control panel / Dell own apps for that display laptop.

Try to figure what you did after you made DisplayCAL calibration & profile, because something changed.

This was maybe my third or fourth time running DisplayCAL back-to-back because each result didn’t look right. I used Dell display settings before running the test to keep the monitor at 60/100 brightness but did not open it again afterwards. When the DisplayCAL started it asked me to change the RGB values of my monitor to set the whitepoint and I used the Intel Graphics Control Panel. Dell Premier Color does not support my system so I uninstalled it. That’s all I can think of… not sure where I go from here. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator
    1. First, make sure your Laptop is configured correctly.
      Right click profile loader icon in the tray, select reset video card gamma table. Open MS Paint. Fill the whole document area with black (RGB 0 0 0). Then make a square in the middle and fill it with RGB 16 16 16. Do you see the square? If not, your output levels are wrong (somewhere in Intel control panel probably?), or the Windows brightness setting and Intel brightness setting interfere with one another (they do not seem to be linked in the screenshots, which is bad).
    2. Re-enable calibration in profile loader.
    3. Open DisplayCAL’s curve viewer and select the box “show calibration from video card gamma table”. Save as PNG and attach.
    4. Attach the profile and related files (“Create compressed archive” in DisplayCAL).

Vincent
    Participant

1- If you buy an i1displayPro or one of its versions and you take a look of Alan’s screenshot in a recent thread:

View post on imgur.com

Out of the box there are 3 corrections for OLED displays, one if for TVs (4 subpixels) , the others are for RGB OLED displays IDNK which one is that Dell, but RGB OLED seems more probable (the ones labeled as RGB OLED, choose the 2nd one: Sony Samsung Lenovo)

3- Do not mess with controls that a laptop does not have (or most laptops do not have). RGB gains and all that stuff. It should be in some DisplayCAL FAQ or in common answer in threads. If you want white point correction if should be done by GPU calibration by DisplayCAL itself, not by you in intel control panel.
    If RGB bars are not aligned to green and you ask DislayCAL to calibrate to certain white, DisplayCAL will do its job and get that white point using GPU LUTs at the expense of a very little contrast drop if it is close to target.

Also it seems that you broke some configuration files and you uninstall a lot of stuff out of my control. Factory reset laptop (restore OS and all configuration from recovery partition) if you are unable to undo all the things you did to configuration.
    Ask dell support about how to restore out of the box configuration by recovery partition of the solution they choose.

Also try to disable automatic dimming ***while you perform validation of calibration task***, for other uses you may want it on, IDNK how these laptop OLEDs age.

After that:

a) if you buy an i1displaypro, use Dell internal calibration software if available for your laptop to perform a preconditioning. For example Rec709/sRGB gamut, gamma 2.2 D65 white for everyday using dell app.  If Dell calibration app takes actual measurements it should have & use a RGB OLED correction (because it was bundled with all Xrite software used by Dell in other monitors)
    Then validate with DisplayCAL how good that calibration is. Issues with white point or gamma or grey can be corrected by DisplayCAL, or inaccurate ICC profile information.

b) If you buy an i1displaypro cousin (like Munki Display which is cheaper) not recognized by Dell internal calibration software or if that software is not available for your laptop, then DisplayCAL can solve issues related with white point or gamma or grey. Also you can get accurate ICC profile information for color managed apps.

Remember: In order to DisplayCAL or Dell software to work properly, to take measureents using a colorimeter, automatic dimming must be switched off.
    Search online of ask dell how to disable it ***while you work wth colorimeter measurements***, I’m not saying to disable it forever, otherwise Dell support may complain about display longevity or “wrong use”.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Florian answered while I was typing.

Do Florian requests before trying to restore OS and all the bundled software with it.

IdiotSandwich
    Participant
    1. First, make sure your Laptop is configured correctly.
      Right click profile loader icon in the tray, select reset video card gamma table. Open MS Paint. Fill the whole document area with black (RGB 0 0 0). Then make a square in the middle and fill it with RGB 16 16 16. Do you see the square? If not, your output levels are wrong (somewhere in Intel control panel probably?), or the Windows brightness setting and Intel brightness setting interfere with one another (they do not seem to be linked in the screenshots, which is bad).

I do not see the RGB 16 16 16 square.

• Re-enable calibration in profile loader.
    • Open DisplayCAL’s curve viewer and select the box “show calibration from video card gamma table”. Save as PNG and attach.
    • Attach the profile and related files (“Create compressed archive” in DisplayCAL).

Attached, thank you for helping me!!

Out of the box there are 3 corrections for OLED displays, one if for TVs (4 subpixels) , the others are for RGB OLED displays IDNK which one is that Dell, but RGB OLED seems more probable (the ones labeled as RGB OLED, choose the 2nd one: Sony Samsung Lenovo)

Thank you for pointing this out! I have a Colormunki Display arriving in the mail on Wednesday Oct 2. I read that it has the same hardware as Spyder5PRO and should be able to read OLED screens with DisplayCAL. I will be sure to select the RGB OLED Sony Samsun Lenovo correction.

If you want white point correction if should be done by GPU calibration by DisplayCAL itself, not by you in intel control panel.

Duly noted.

Also it seems that you broke some configuration files and you uninstall a lot of stuff out of my control. Factory reset laptop (restore OS and all configuration from recovery partition) if you are unable to undo all the things you did to configuration.

So far I’ve only uninstalled Dell Premier Color because it does not run on my system. “<i>Dell PremierColor is only supported on selected Dell Precision and Dell XPS systems with 100% Adobe RGB or 100% sRGB panels. Unsupported models will display the following message: “PremierColor does not support this system configuration. Please refer to application information available in the Windows Store</i>”.  Is there something else showing up as broken in my report?

Also try to disable automatic dimming ***while you perform validation of calibration task***

Yes, did that one ✓

b) If you buy an i1displaypro cousin (like Munki Display which is cheaper) not recognized by Dell internal calibration software or if that software is not available for your laptop, then DisplayCAL can solve issues related with white point or gamma or grey. Also you can get accurate ICC profile information for color managed apps.

Great, looking forward to it!

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Contrast seems ok from the profiling measurements, over 8,000,000:1. The measurements show issues with the response near white (clipping in green channel), and calibration seems odd, either the Smile cannot deal with the OLED (possible), or it’s the effect of dynamic dimming, or both. If it’s the Smile, the ColorMunki Display will solve this. You do not seem to have an issue with wrong output levels according to the measurements, even though it’s peculiar that you cannot see 16 16 16 over a black background (this should be distinguishable) in MS Paint. I’ve attached a test picture, you should see all numbers from 1-8 for both the left and right side (may have to view in dark room to be able to see lowest numbers on the left).

Attachments:

IdiotSandwich
    Participant

Contrast seems ok from the profiling measurements, over 8,000,000:1. The measurements show issues with the response near white (clipping in green channel), and calibration seems odd, either the Smile cannot deal with the OLED (possible), or it’s the effect of dynamic dimming, or both. If it’s the Smile, the ColorMunki Display will solve this.

The only setting I could find with automatic dimming was in the battery section and I disabled it for the tests so I’m not sure what else could be changing the screen brightness. I will be getting the Colormunki Display tomorrow night and will post the new results.

You do not seem to have an issue with wrong output levels according to the measurements, even though it’s peculiar that you cannot see 16 16 16 over a black background (this should be distinguishable) in MS Paint. I’ve attached a test picture, you should see all numbers from 1-8 for both the left and right side (may have to view in dark room to be able to see lowest numbers on the left).

I’m viewing your image in a dark room and on the left side I can just barely read the number 2. Left side 3 through 8 are visible. I do not see a number 1 on the left side at all. On the right side I can barely read the number 3. Right side 4 through 8 are visible. I do not see numbers 1 or 2 on the right side. I feel like I just failed an eye exam!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’m viewing your image in a dark room and on the left side I can just barely read the number 2. Left side 3 through 8 are visible. I do not see a number 1 on the left side at all. On the right side I can barely read the number 3. Right side 4 through 8 are visible. I do not see numbers 1 or 2 on the right side. I feel like I just failed an eye exam!

Don’t worry, your eyes are alright, it’s the display that is clipping. I would go into the Intel Color Settings page and reset those settings to default. Are the brightness/contrast settings shown in your screenshot above per-color? If so, I would expect the brightness default per color to be at 0, contrast at 50, and both hue+saturation at 0.

IdiotSandwich
    Participant

I would go into the Intel Color Settings page and reset those settings to default. I would expect the brightness default per color to be at 0, contrast at 50, and both hue+saturation at 0.

Ok I reset Intel to the default and got each color at 0, contrast at 50, hue 0, saturation 0. I can now read all numbers 1-8 on the right side. But the left side I can’t see numbers 1 or 2.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I can now read all numbers 1-8 on the right side.

Ok, good.

But the left side I can’t see numbers 1 or 2.

After your ColorMunki arrives, create a new profile, install it, and then check in a color managed application if you can see the missing numbers.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Btw, I think it might be safe to adjust brightness using the Windows 10 brightness slider, as I think it only controls the backlight/OLED light. Leave all the Intel Color Settings at defaults though (also overall brightness and contrast there, which should be 0 and 50 like the individual sliders).

IdiotSandwich
    Participant

Check it out guys!! Improved measurements 🙂 What do you think!?

Black and white number test: I can’t see the 1 on the left. I can just barely see the number 1 on the right.

Also I realized I’ve been opening this image in Chrome the whole time when Photoshop is probably a better place. In Chrome I can’t see 1 & 2 on the left and I can’t see 1 on the right.

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Looking good. Nothing to improve there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS