sRGB calibration on LG 27GL850 B

Home Forums Help and Support sRGB calibration on LG 27GL850 B

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

mat a
    Participant

Hi

I am trying to calibrate my display for sRGB without using the sRGB mode of the monitor.

Vincent kindly tried to help me but I am still lost I am afraid.

I have calibrated the monitor in its with its default settings (reset the monitor) so it is a wide gamut monitor.

I selected the sRGB mode in displaycal in the top menu and the LCD PFS Phosphor WLED IPS, 98% Adobe RGB/96% P3 (I am not sure if this is the right correction or not as I am not sure which one to use or which one to download from the users presets)

Is that the right way to do it?

If I wanted to use the sRGB preset on my monitor, can I change the brightness? It is far too dark. If so, do I need to recalibrate?

Many thanks

Vincent
    Participant

I selected the sRGB mode in displaycal in the top menu and the LCD PFS Phosphor WLED IPS, 98% Adobe RGB/96% P3 (I am not sure if this is the right correction or not as I am not sure which one to use or which one to download from the users presets)

Is that the right way to do it?

No. DisplayCAL and “usual” calibration can only correct grey, VCGT provided by GPU. If you wish to correct colorspace too, for non color managed apps you need more, HW or SW.
    The typical solution is to use DWMLUT:
    https://github.com/ledoge/dwm_lut

So choose default/current preset in top menu, WLED PFS 94% P3 CCSS correction (AdobeRGB + P3 correction is limited to higher end WLED PFS like some Eizo CG-X or even cheaper lowcost photo monitors like Benq SW240), choose your desired white (D65 typ.) , your desired gamma(2.2 typ.) and tehn calibrate & profile as usual.

At the end of the process you’ll have a ICC profile with grey scale calibration and after calibration “display colorspace boundaries” (= like taylor measurements)

Feed that profile to DIsplayCAL LUT3D creator on “destination”. On “source” choose sRGB/Rec709 and typically 2.2 gamma. Create a .cube LUT3D.

Then set as default displayprofile the colorspace you wre trying to simulate (sRGB in this example or varients of it) in OS configuration.

At last, run DWMLUT and load that .cube you generated. On applying (maybe you need to minimize & restore windows) your display will be calibrated to behave as “source”

If I wanted to use the sRGB preset on my monitor, can I change the brightness?

It depends on monitor, some models have locked OSD.

It is far too dark. If so, do I need to recalibrate?

Sometimes monitors have shared brightness & contrast settings. If you modify these in sRGB preset and it is shared, all your calibrations in “user”/”custom”mode may get invalid unless you restore the values you used to create that “user”/”custom”mode calibration.

THis shoudl be on monitor manual.

Since LeDoge’s DWMLUT showed up… you can skip using sRGB OSD presets if they have too many locked OSD controls. It’s a great tool.

mat a
    Participant

Again, many thanks for your reply.

mat a
    Participant

I think I got it.

When you say “OS configuration” you mean what I show in my attached pic?

Also, should “use my settings or this device” be selected.

Finally, do I need to uninstall Displaycal or its profile loader and should I keep DWMLUT running on the bavkground?

I would hace never got there without your help.

Thank you once again.

Vincent
    Participant

I think I got it.

When you say “OS configuration” you mean what I show in my attached pic?

no pic.

Also, should “use my settings or this device” be selected.

Yes, use my settings, then select as “default” the profile you chose.

Finally, do I need to uninstall Displaycal or its profile loader and should I keep DWMLUT running on the bavkground?

It depends on want you want to do-

If you run DWMLUT your display is going to behave like “source profile”, hence if you want to use color managed apps AT THE SAME TIME as DWMLUT, you need to set as default display profile that ICC you are simulating (srGB).

If you want to use DMWLUT for games, but keep your P3 display at native gamut for color managed browser, Photoshop & such, it is easier to keep in OS settings the profile ypu made with DIsplayCAL at native gamut. When running DWMLUT, just sleect DIsplayCAL tray icon and disable 1D grey calibration. Run DWMLUT for your games or whatever you do, then when you finish playing disbale LUT3D in DWMLUT or close it, re enable DisplayCAL calibration.

There are lots of possible combinations, just keep in mind that if you are going to use color managed apps, you have to set up as default display profile in OS settings a profile that describes ACTUAL display behavior (DIsplaycal profile for native amut, simulated profile for DMWLUT). Otherwise color managed apps won’t work as intended

mat a
    Participant

What I ended up doing is:

-configure Win 10 as per the attached pic (sorry!). So SRGB in OS

-Run DWMLut with the cube profile I made following your instructions and I keep it minimised (so always running)

-Deactivate DisplayCAL loader completely.

The only colour managed program I use is Photoshop. So I suppose I need to deactivate DWMLut when I use it as it is already colour managed? I want to have sRGN all the time because I use 3DSMax and it is not colour managed. I prefer then to have sRGB so that renders are to the sRGB stndard.

I would like to thank you for your help. Do you “work” for DisplaCAL? If so, I will make a small donation to your site. If not, I would happily send a few dollars to you on Paypal. It is only fair.

Thanks

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS