sRGB and 2.4

Home Forums Help and Support sRGB and 2.4

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Cupp
    Participant

Hello there,

I recently bought i1 Display Pro Plus to calibrate my TV with Calman for Bravia and decided to try DisplayCal on my monitor, but I don’t know if I’m setting it up correctly.

I’m basically looking to calibrate my monitor for media consumption. My plan was to use  sRGB with Gamma 2.4 (which I prefer). My monitor offers 2.4 on OSD, so, the question is, should I calibrate it to sRBG with OSD set to 2.4? Or should I calibrate with OSD at 2.2 and set the Gamma to 2.4 after the calibration.

Another option is to calibrate it to Costume Gamma 2.4 relative. (EDIT: If this is the case, should the OSD Gamma be set to 2.2 or 2.4)

Once again, I’m not a creator and my only objective is be able to reproduce media to the author’s intent (Netflix and so on), while at the same time keeping the Gamma at 2.4, which I prefer for my dark room.

Thanks in advance!

• This topic was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Cupp.

Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

If you plan to use your TV to play content without a computer DisplayCAL calibration won’t be active. In that situation, better use HCFR, fix white, choose OSD gamma settings best suit your gamma target, then move to 10 point setting in grayscale and try to make minor tweaks in color and gamma.

If you plan to use your TV connected to a computer, fix white, choose OSD gamma settings best suit your gamma target, then calibrate&profile in DisplayCAL.

Cupp
    Participant

Hello there,

Thank for the clear explanation. I wanted to calibrate the monitor (TV is already calibrated with Calman Home).

In the meantime I already calibrated the monitor and rather satisfied with the results. One final question is about applications that don’t support ICC, do I still need 3D Lut and another application (like ReShade) with the Nvidia Color Accuracy Mode. I read conflicting report about it on reddit.

Thanks again!

Vincent
    Participant

One final question is about applications that don’t support ICC, do I still need 3D Lut and another application (like ReShade) with the Nvidia Color Accuracy Mode. I read conflicting report about it on reddit.

Non color managed apps:

-HW cal inside monitor with gamut emulation

-AMD’s sRGB emulation from EDID

-software LUT3D like resolve, madVR, ReShade

-external HW lutbox fro a LUT3D

-factory preset with colospace simulation + additional white & grey calibration with DisplayCAL (colorspace boundaries won’t be corrected)

Regarding Nv incompatibilities, IDNK. If non color managed app can show patches by user command try to measure RGBCMY 100% (255) saturation patches with ArgyllCMS command line “spotread”. If you have a ~P3 monitor or something like that measuring 255 R & G with spotread and a soft LUT3D working it’s easy to spot if it is ON or OFF, or if you are applying it twice with desaturation.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS