SpyderX gives very greenish hue with both DisplayCal and SpyderXPro software

Home Forums Help and Support SpyderX gives very greenish hue with both DisplayCal and SpyderXPro software

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Drift91
    Participant

So I recently nabbed a SpyderX Pro on sale for about $100 at the same time as I bought a new G-Sync gaming monitor. The monitor is a TN panel, so I didn’t expect perfect colours to begin with. However I was expecting the SpyderX to at least improve the colours even a slight bit. Instead the result is a disgusting drab greenish display. I know that an accurately calibrated display won’t have eye-popping saturation and all that, but that’s not my objective.

Is the SpyderX simply not compatible with TN panels, is my SpyderX defective or is DataColor just ripping people off with inaccurate calibration? I’ve heard nothing but positive things about the DataColor SpyderX prior to purchasing it, even from someone who reviewed my exact model of monitor. Upon searching my exact problem with greenish outcome I’ve seen several forum posts telling people to return their SpyderX and one saying to “eyeball” the white balance before tuning with DisplayCal. But even if I use the default colour temperature of my monitor and tune from that it still ends up looking somewhat greenish.

Am I missing some critical detail here about how to run DisplayCal or is this normally $300 piece of equipment just trash? I feel like something is wrong here because I don’t understand how they could get away with such horrible accuracy on a product for semi-professional photographers and video editors and get nothing but positive reviews.

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Drift91
    Participant

Forgot to mention (Edit button seems to have disappeared after refreshing the page) I’m on Windows 10 20H2 and the monitor is an Asus VG278QR. From what I can tell it’s a white LED backlight so that’s what I selected from the SpyderX’s modes.

Vincent
    Participant

If you do not know which specific backlight is used in that monitor, make profile from EDID data. sRGB-like gaut (more or less) => White LED colorimeter correction. P3 gamut => WLED PFS /PFS phosphor correction as “best chance”.
    Without that colorimeter measurement won’t be correct (and if they are applied properly SPyderX may give innacurate results too).

Once this is fixed DisplayCAL allows you to fix white & grey, nothing more. That is what GPU calibration can do. Using OSD controsl in a dispaly with bigger native colorspace than sRGB you can try to make it beave like a sRGB/Rec709 display using saturation controls. It can be done with DIsplayCAL or argyll and a little patience but it is faster with HCFR which is also free and uses ArgyllCMS. Not user about SpyderX support in HCFR. After this you can correct white & grey in displaycal.

After white & grey calibration diusplay cal makes an ICC profile measuring resulting display behaviour but this can only be used by color managed apps.

Not sure but you did here:

Upon searching my exact problem with greenish outcome I’ve seen several forum posts telling people to return their SpyderX and one saying to “eyeball” the white balance before tuning with DisplayCal. But even if I use the default colour temperature of my monitor and tune from that it still ends up looking somewhat greenish.

but as a general rule, first match numerically to your target, if visually is off cancel and from that sarting point, use  visual white point editor moving your mouse till the white is what you want. Using that approach means using relative colorimetric approach in LUT3D.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS