SpyderX calibration issue

Home Forums Help and Support SpyderX calibration issue

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

shawk
    Participant

Hi all,

first off I am not a professional photographer/calibration buff, just very into real colors. For years I used an old Spyder 2 with DisplayCal to calibrate my monitors. On my latest monitor Dell S2716DG (i know, TN=not good) I used the Spyder 2 and got major improvements in terms of colors and less washed-out-ness. Last week I decided to purchase a SpyderX, just because I thought the results might be even better today with up-to-date hardware, and used the exact same DisplayCal settings I did with the Spyder 2.  The only difference being the Hardware (and yes, I installed the Argyll drivers and did not even install the SpyderX native ones before). Somehow the SpyderX calibration gives me a washed out result. Its just brighter, basically the same as when I click “Reset graphics card gamma table” (or similar)  on the profile loader.

I decided to use the Dataclor Spyder Pro Software with the SpyderX because of this and I get an improved result without that washed-out-ness again. Though not much better than the Spyder 2 profile that I had with DisplayCal.

Any Idea what could cause this? I assume it is due to a lack of know-how on my part.. which I want to fix.

Thanks everyone in advance!

• This topic was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by shawk.

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

MW
    Participant

Hard to tell without knowing what settings were used in each case.

shawk
    Participant

Hi, included are the settings. The only difference between SpyderX as shown below and Spyder 2 was the hardware. It said “Spyder 2” and the Mode “LCD (Generic)” for Spyder 2.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

MW
    Participant

Spyder devices have a reputation for not being super accurate near black, this could be a cause for washed out colors due to misreading in that range. One thing that might help is setting tone curve to gamma 2.2. The sRGB tone curve raises blacks by design.

shawk
    Participant

Thanks, I tried that and was able to get a better result.Now the SpyderX with Gamma 2.2 gets the same result als the Spyder 2 with sRGB and the Datacolor Software.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS