Spyder5: The same hardware different software versions?

Home Forums Help and Support Spyder5: The same hardware different software versions?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

JanQVD
    Participant

Hello,

I am an amateur photographer and like to buy a calibrator. About the Spyder5 calibrators (Express, Pro and Elite), is the hardware the same and is the software provided different or is there an actual difference in the hardware between the three versions?
    If I am going to use DisplayCal in stead of the Spyder Software, it doesn’t make sense to buy the Elite if the hardware is the same right?

Thanks for your thoughts!

• This topic was modified 6 years ago by JanQVD.

betazoid
    Participant

I think the hardware is the same in all versions, it is the software that you pay for. I have a Spyder express and it has the ambient light sensor.

Vincent
    Participant

IMHO I’ll go for a Colormunki Display or i1DisplayPro and avoid all these Spyders.
    Munki is about ~$30-$40 more expensive than Spyder5Express and more accurate than all spyder versions. If you do a little research online you may get to the same results and go for the current Xrite colorimeters.

If you as an amateur photographer own a Display with hardware calibration support, then you should avoid Colormunki Display since this device are not supported by many vendor solutions for HW calibration. IDNK if that vendors have similar market segmentation with Spyder5Express so they require Pro or Ellite versions of Spyder5. You may want to contact your display manufacturer for support if you go for the Express. Anyway, I would avoid Spyders in this situation and go for i1DisplayPro beacuse IMHO there is no real choice.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

JanQVD
    Participant

Hi Vincent,
    You are confronting me with a dilemma now: I have an Eizo screen and Eizo’s software: Colornavigator supports Spyder but doesn’t support ColorMunki Display. Hmmmm. …

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by JanQVD.

Vincent
    Participant

Hi Vincent,
    You are confronting me with a dilemma now: Eizo’s software: Colornavigator supports Spyder but doesn’t support ColorMunki Display. Hmmmm. …

As I said before, IMHO there is no dilema and there is no choice: if you have a device with HW calibration support, you should get i1DisplayPro (or OEM compatible version like the ones from NEC, Wacom… etc).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS