Spyder X Pro and loss of detail in blacks when sRGB

Home Forums General Discussion Spyder X Pro and loss of detail in blacks when sRGB

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Chris Cork
    Participant

Hi All,

So I’ve calibrated both my Mac and PC and experience the same issue.

When exporting from Lightroom to sRGB Jpeg the blacks are crushed, with little detail in the shadows dark areas held. It appears this way in Mac Preview, on iPad, iPhone etc.

Yet, if I open the sRGB jpeg in Photoshop the detail is visible.

I’m guessing that this is a case of the iPad or photo preview software not using the colour profile but iPad Pros are meant to be factory calibrated to P3 so surely they should appear close to a calibrated monitor.

I’ve resorted to eyeballing my Mac colour calibration to look close to my iPad.

Spyder is good for calibration when it’s for print but as I’m mainly exporting for social media, it becomes a problem as I want a fairly accurate preview of the end result when editing.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did they get around it?

Vincent
    Participant

Apple’s faulty color management engine. Apps using Apple’s CMM instead instead of its own CMM (Adobe suite) will suffer al the bugs and limitations of the poor implementation from APple.
    Use DisplayCAL with default settings so at the expense of some loss of accuracy, macOS bugs won’t bother you.

Vincent
    Participant

Spyder is good for calibration when it’s for print but as I’m mainly exporting for social media, it becomes a problem as I want a fairly accurate preview of the end result when editing.

PS. It is not and newer was. Although X does not suffer from the design flaws of older models, it lacks of a way to correct colorimeter in a distributable way, hence little variations from built int modes to actual devices won’t be corrected without using an spectrophotometer with YOUR devices, while for i1d3 those corrections can be distributed remotely.

Example. Since there are 3 main flavors of WLED PFS LED backlight, (“exactly P3” in Apple P3 displays is 1 of these flavors), even if SpyderX has a PFS/KFS phsophor measurement mode it won’t match the 3. But that will be mostly a whitepoint error.

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Chris Cork
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. However the behaviour is identical on Mac and PC. It’s like the gamma looks visually lighter than 2.2 which becomes apparent when exporting to srgb with the darkening down and crushing of the black.

it’s something that’s been bothering me for a year or so. I can’t get my head around it or whether it’s just a case of accepting that when editing for sRGB to eyeball it.

I’ve currently selected P3 profile on the Mac mini, cooled the white balance a tad and it is very close to the iPhone and iPad colours now.

it seems to be the only kind of multi device accuracy I can get as the black crush is just too much from Lightroom to JPEG when using the Spyder profile

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Chris Cork.

Vincent
    Participant

sRGB TRC is lighter in dark greys… by definition.

Chris Cork
    Participant

It’s appearing darker not lighter…

Vincent
    Participant

Darker when not color managed (windows).

Vincent
    Participant

The reference is Photoshop. To make Apple’s app show it properly stick to default “very simple profiles” settings in DisplayCAL for macos, since its an OS limitation.

On MS windows you must restore old image viewer (google), not “Photos” app. Older viewer is (partially) color managed when not in fullscreen, or use Photoshop, or even a browser with color management (Firefox needs to be configured to interpret untagged images and HTML colors as sRGB).

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Vincent.

Chris Cork
    Participant

Bit of a pointless exercise when Instagram etc look completely different…

It’s strange though, iPad/iPhone  has a calibrated screen but isn’t colour manager at an OS level

Vincent
    Participant

On instagram they will look exactly like PS… as long as you use a color managed browser.

Chris Cork
    Participant

they don’t…

Vincent
    Participant

On instagram they will look exactly like PS… as long as you use a color managed browser.

Try to read again, maybe you understand the sentence this time.

Chris Cork
    Participant

But they say Safari etc is colour managed and it makes no difference when opening the jpeg directly inside.

Vincent
    Participant

Safari for macOS on mac computers is color managed and it relies on macos color management engine under the hood  which is faulty and only supports simpler profiles (Adobe uses its own engine ACE). Same for all other apps useing Apple color management engine.
    This leads us to message number 2 in this thread ( #32778), so read it and use a simpler profile.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS