Spectrometers

Home Forums General Discussion Spectrometers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

garrison
    Participant

Hi,  Florian!

I found info that there are some issues with spectrometers while measuring the correct brightness of some LED backlit displays which use white LEDs (Verification / measurement report section on displaycal.net). Can you please tell more about this? Or where can I find detailed information? I use X-Rite i1Pro2.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

not sure where you got that information from. Spectrometers typically have issues with low light measurements due to sensor noise (and dark calibration drift).

garrison
    Participant

I’ve got this info from displaycal.net main page. In section “Verification / measurement report” you write:

Note that both tests are “closed-loop” and will not tell you an “absolute” truth in terms of “color quality” or “color accuracy” as they may not show if your instrument is faulty/measures wrong (a profile created from repeatable wrong measurements will usually still verify well against other wrong measurements from the same instrument if they don’t fluctuate too much) or does not cope with your display well (which is especially true for colorimeters and wide-gamut screens, as such combinations need a correction in hardware or software to obtain accurate results—this problem does not exist with spectrometers, which do not need a correction for wide-gamut, but have lately been discovered to have issues measuring the correct brightness of some LED backlit displays which use white LEDs), or if colors on your screen match an actual colored object next to it (like a print). It is perfectly possible to obtain good verification results but the actual visual performance being sub-par. It is always wise to combine such measurements with a test of the actual visual appearance via a “known good” reference, like a print or proof (although it should not be forgotten that those also have tolerances, and illumination also plays a big role when assessing visual results). Keep all that in mind when admiring (or pulling your hair out over) verification results 🙂

What are the issues with LED backlit displays with white LEDs?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

What are the issues with LED backlit displays with white LEDs?

That is old information and only applies to older graphics arts spectrometers like the i1 Pro 1.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS