Sony PVM-2541 with Blackmagic SDI to HDMI 6G Mini converter 3D LUT

Home Forums Help and Support Sony PVM-2541 with Blackmagic SDI to HDMI 6G Mini converter 3D LUT

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Tapageur
    Participant

Hi,

I wish to generate a 3D LUT for my Sony PVM-2541 oled using Displaycal through Resolve so it can be loaded inside the BM mini converter SDi to HDMI 6G LUT feature.  Then I will be able to use the properly calibrated monitor in After Effect and Premiere.

My question is, should I turn off the color space of the Sony and keep the white point to D65?  It seems the logical way to do it because setting the monitor to Rec709 will just put the color space on top of the LUT of the mini converter, right?  My understanding would be to keep the monitor as vanilla as possible for calibration.

Thanks for your input!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

My question is, should I turn off the color space of the Sony and keep the white point to D65? It seems the logical way to do it because setting the monitor to Rec709 will just put the color space on top of the LUT of the mini converter, right? My understanding would be to keep the monitor as vanilla as possible for calibration.

Yes, it’s generally better for profiling to use the native gamut.

mirekti
    Participant

I am about to receive PVM A250 and will try to go through a similar process you did, but will be using decklink monitor 4k and Resolve’s built in 3D LUT support. I also have iDisplay Pro.
    I wondered if you could share your experience and results, please.
    Have you used any WB correction with Sony’s software before you started doing DisplayCal’s steps?

I have also found this info:
    When these monitors first became available there was a lot of misinformation swirling around about how to best calibrate them. They were supposedly “perfect” right out of the box. Later it was recommended that they be aligned to the traditional targets for CRT’s and LCD’s of x .313 y .329. Turns out neither of these were correct. 

Two points – I always felt there was a strong yellowish green cast in all of these Sony OLED displays right out the box. When aligning them to the targets of x .313 y .329, resulted in a cleaner white but one that was still just a touch warm / yellow-green. Apparently Sony came to similar conclusions so they are now recommending the following targets for all of their OLED monitors:

x .307
    y .318
    Y 100

from http://shootdatapost.com/blog/2013/4/22/sony-oled-calibration.html
    This seems rather old, but I haven’t seen much newer info online.

Thanks and cheers!!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS