Some images displayed as green/magenta (in some apps)

Home Forums Help and Support Some images displayed as green/magenta (in some apps)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Kevin Marshall
    Participant

I think something has gone awry, but I can’t pin down the source/setting. In different applications, some images are displayed normally, while some images are displayed with colors on a green/magenta axis – almost like a YUV/RGB mismatch – though the luminance is correct. It’s not quite a color inversion, as swinging the hue still yields a two-tone image, just different two-tones. As an example, here’s a screenshot of the APOD (http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1605/PelicanIC5067close_colombari_q100_watermark1024.jpg) opened in two different applications on my computer:

The version on the left is opened in Windows 10’s Photos app, which matches the Explorer thumbnail, the direct link on the website, and my laptop. The version on the left appears green/magenta in Windows Photo Viewer. In this text box, it appears even further distorted to me, with the left being pink/green, and the right being green/purple.

Even in a single program like Chrome, a thumbnail might appear normal while the full image is distorted. Different images on the same webpage will have a mix of correct and incorrect colors.

I thought maybe I had a problem with Nvidia drivers, so I rolled back, upgraded, and installed clean. No luck. I thought maybe it was a Windows issue, so I booted (same machine) into Yosemite, and it was suffering the same problem.

I thought I must have messed up something within DisplayCal, since that was a common point between the two environments. However I tried different tweaks to my settings, including just using the sRGB preset, without success. I even uninstalled DisplayCal, to no avail. I even started applying different, old, wrong icc profiles (including previous ones that didn’t exhibit this problem), and the different interpretations persisted.

I’m at a loss. Have I just made a simple mistake somewhere in DisplayCal that can be corrected?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’m at a loss. Have I just made a simple mistake somewhere in DisplayCal that can be corrected?

Please see http://displaycal.net/#issue-redgreenswapped

Kevin Marshall
    Participant

Oh man. This was literally the first setting I tried changing, and it didn’t seem to change anything, which is why I went down the rabbit hole. Going back with this now, and explaining why none of my old profiles seemed to fix the issue, I needed to restart the applications I was seeing the problem with after installing the profile. Very boneheaded move on my part.

Thanks so much

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS