software calibration and hardware calibration together?

Home Forums General Discussion software calibration and hardware calibration together?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Viktor
    Participant

Hi i im in a argument that you cant use software calibration and hardware calibration together?

he seys that:

you should not use DisplayCal when using Pallette.

DisplayCal makes a software LUT for windows while DisplayCal makes an ICC opening up for all colors and tones to pass to monitor – because the LUT is stored in monitor.

I have a “BENQ SW240 ” BTW!

THX!  🙂

Vincent
    Participant

I think that it has been explained before:

-use PME and calibrate SW240 CAL1/CAL2/CAL3 to your desired target

-test calibration results in DisplayCAL (profile WP vs measure WP is ging to fail because PME stored D50 PCS white without CHAD tag), AFAIK)
    a ) if you want to test PME results with the same set of rules (even they are wrong, and they are wrong) use DisplayCAL bundled RGBLED correction
    a ) if you want to test PME results against what looks like actual backlight type use HP_DreamColor_Z24x_NewPanel.ccss (WLED PFS phosphor HP Dreamcolor Z34x G2)

-if grey range a*b* or grey is bad (a*b* deviations, mostly a*, from neutral axis 0)  or if white point missed too much, you can use DisplayCAL to correct that grey deviations. This calibration/correction is going to be stored in GPU LUT and loaded at user logon by DisplayCAL. This will be applied on top of your HW calibration. You should do it IF whitepoint and grey HW calibration is wrong (like range ~2 or greater, or WP over 3dE with an strong pink-magenta cast). If you own a GPU not suitable for this task you may end with banding, if you use MS Windows LUT loader you can get banding unless you reboot (so use DisplayCAL loader)

-if white and grey looks good but you want a more accurate profile (big XYZLUT) of with less issues than PME ICCv2 files, you can reprofile without calibration using DisplayCAL. Set calibration target all to native, so DisplayCAL won’t calibrate, just profile.

so, test PME result first with DisplayCAL, then choose what to do with results data. You may need to do nothing OR you may need to recalibrate in GPU on top of your PME HW calibration.

Viktor
    Participant

i know i was right! I did uplode some new  result! 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Viktor.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

WP & grey range from HW cal seems OK, so profile built for “Measurement Report 3.8.2 — BenQ SW240 @ 0, 0, 1920×1200 — 2019-06-11 03-38 THE LAST Measurement Report!!” may not be needed in your monitor (I mean you do not need GPU calibration with that monitor)

Anyway, I find easier to spot grey issues with this verification chart “ISO_12646-2008_color_accuracy_and_gray_balance.ti1” instead of those XL/XXL patch sets… but choose the one you like most.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS