So the i1Display Pro OEM verB is basically a Pro Plus? Buying OEM in Canada?

Home Forums General Discussion So the i1Display Pro OEM verB is basically a Pro Plus? Buying OEM in Canada?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Darkmatter
    Participant

Hi, I was set to get a Display Pro Plus when I read 2 very interesting things.

1. X-Rite never implemented their advertised negative black offset or whatever they call it. They said, apparently, that in the end it didn’t work out as they had expected so they didn’t include it, but the marketing team didn’t find out until later. Um… oops? lol
    2. The i1Display Plus Pro is almost exactly the same as the i1Display Pro OEM verB. The only difference is the unlock code, and (I don’t know this one) possibly it doesn’t come with X-Rite’s software. This part I don’t know, and I also don’t know if you can just download the software yourself, or if it will read an OEM serial number and refuse to work. Not that that is such a big deal when we’re here because of DisplayCal. 🙂

So, my questions are, can I buy an OEM in Canada, that ships from Canada to avoid customs fees/possible warranty problems, and is there any difference in the OEM warranty?

Thanks!

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The OEM instruments are not bundled with software from X-Rite (other than driver and support files) because they are meant for bundling with 3rd party software. The main and only difference (apart from unlock code)  for the OEM Rev.B and retail versions of the i1 Display Pro is that the OEM version is rated for up to 2000 cd/m², while the retail version is rated up to 1000 cd/m² (the i1 Display Pro Plus matches the OEM version and supports up to 2000cd/m² as well).

So, my questions are, can I buy an OEM in Canada, that ships from Canada to avoid customs fees/possible warranty problems, and is there any difference in the OEM warranty?

I have no idea about warranty regulations in Canada. I’d advise checking with the place you’re going to buy from, as there is usually a difference between manufacturer guarantee and seller warranty (at least in Germany, warranty is mandated by law, covers 24 months, with the burden of proof on the seller during the first six months, and on the customer after that. A manufacturer guarantee on the other hand is not mandatory here, and cannot replace the warranty).

Darkmatter
    Participant

Thanks Florian, although I have no idea where I would find an OEM revB for sale in Canada atm, from what I’ve heard, the software for it is pretty “meh.” lol

Marco Fazio
    Participant

The main and only difference (apart from unlock code)  for the OEM Rev.B and retail versions of the i1 Display Pro is that the OEM version is rated for up to 2000 cd/m², while the retail version is rated up to 1000 cd/m² (the i1 Display Pro Plus matches the OEM version and supports up to 2000cd/m² as well).

Hi there Florian, I have got a preatty old i1 display pro retail version (produced in 2010) and I’m not sure it’s still working correctly since I get weird result from it.
    I’m going to replace it soon and I’m wondering if the OEM version would be preferible over the retail one (i1 display pro plus).

The hardware would be the same, but only the retail version work with x-rite software. That’s clear to me.
    In your experience is there any advantage to get the OEM for a more general purpose use (if I don’t need support for x-rite software), like in combination with Displaycal, Lightspace, Calman, Color Navigator7 etc…?

Last important question, is there any other probe you would chose over the i1d pro (both OEM or Retail) ?
    I aware that i1d pro needs spectral correction depending on the display technology, somethimes I found this hard to manage since I don’t have access to a high end probe and I have to relay on the generic spectral corrections available in displaycal or custom ones find online, but I’m never sure if that’s would work or not.

Is there really anything around that price of a i1d plus or very close that don’t need spectral corrections?
    What would be the closer probe in price that eliminate the issue? (something you would reccommend to invest in of couse)

Thanks in advance for your time.
    Marco.

Vincent
    Participant

Last important question, is there any other probe you would chose over the i1d pro (both OEM or Retail) ?

No in that price range

I aware that i1d pro needs spectral correction depending on the display technology, somethimes I found this hard to manage since I don’t have access to a high end probe and I have to relay on the generic spectral corrections available in displaycal or custom ones find online, but I’m never sure if that’s would work or not.

Use bundled corrections or even community collection. As long as you know backlight type (or guess it because primaries) almost all used backlights are covered by those two sources

Is there really anything around that price of a i1d plus or very close that don’t need spectral corrections?

If you do not want that… get an spectrophotometer, more expensive, slower

What would be the closer probe in price that eliminate the issue? (something you would reccommend to invest in of couse)

It is not a fault, it is a very useful feature that a colorimeter requires spectral corrections. Without that you’ll get wrong measurements (no corrections at all) or limited to a few bundled display types from factory like Spyder X.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS